Chapter Eighteen: Bella's POV

• Dedicated to M- good luck with your exams!

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:

Bella's POV:

After Hermione disappeared off walking, Jacob and I wandered into his bedroom, where we flopped down on his bed. I was still tired from my England adventure, and was having trouble keeping my eyes open, much to Jake's amusement.

"So, didja have fun?" he asked, lazing backwards against the pillows.

"It was amazing," I grinned, "I mean, everything was magical." I hid my grin as I said that, enjoying the quip, even though Jacob had no idea about the double meaning behind it. "I got invited to a wedding." I add, when Jacob raises an eyebrow, signaling for more details.

"Neat! Who's wedding?" He asks.

"One of Hermione's best friend's older brother's." I say, and Jacob grins.

"That's a mouthful. So..." He said, after a few long moments, "wanna go ride the motorcycles?" I roll my eyes at him.

"I really don't think I'm allowed." I tell him, dryly. Jacob scowls slightly.

"Why? Because of the leech?" He asks, his face darkening.

"No, because of Charlie." I sigh, rolling my eyes. "He still hasn't forgiven you, for building the 'death trap' and allowing me to ride it." I tell him, using my fingers as quote marks. Jacob gives me a sheepish smile, and then his expression fades slightly, becoming darker.

"Bella," he begins, his voice oddly quiet, "you know that day, when I brought the bike over... I've been wanting to ask you something, but also... not wanting to." he spoke slowly, hesitantly, and I held still- a reaction to stress that I'd picked up from Edward. "Were you just being stubborn because you were mad at me, or were you really serious?" he whispered, as though he couldn't bear to say the words out loud.

"About what?" I whispered back, though I was sure I knew exactly what he meant. He glared at me, obviously thinking the same thing.

"You know. When you said it was none of my business... if- if he bit you." He cringed visibly at the end.

"Jake..." my throat felt swollen. I couldn't finish. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Were you serious?" He was trembling, just slightly. A warning sign. His eyes stayed closed, and I wondered how to put this most delicately. In the end, I went for simple.

"Yes." I whispered, and Jacob inhaled, slow and deep.

"I guess I knew that." He murmured, and I stared at his face, waiting for his eyes to open. "You know what this will mean?" He demanded, suddenly. "You do understand that, don't you? What will happen if they break the treaty?"

"We'll leave first," I said, in a small voice. His eyes flashed open, their black depths full of anger and pain.

"There wasn't a geographic limit to the treaty, Bella! Our great-grandfathers only agreed to keep the peace because the Cullens swore that they were different, that humans weren't in danger from them! They promised they would never kill or change anyone ever again! If they go back on their word, the treaty is meaningless, and they are no different than any other vampire! Once that's established, when we find them again-"

"But, Jake, didn't you break the treaty already?" I interrupt him, grasping at straws. "Wasn't part of it that you not tell people about the vampires? And you told me! So isn't the treaty sort of moot, anyway?" Jacob didn't like the reminder; the pain in his eyes hardened into animosity.

"Yeah, I broke the treaty- back before I believed any of it. And I'm sure they were informed of that." He flared, sourly at my forehead. "But it's not like that gives them a freebie or anything. There's no fault for a fault. They have only one option if they object to what I did- the same option we'll have when they break the treaty: to attack. To start the war."