Chapter Seven: Bella's POV

CHAPTER SEVEN:

Bella's POV:

So it didn't take a genius to realise that Alice was interested in my sister- and in the biblical sense of the word (of course, I could be wrong. Hermione is a genius, and I was fairly certain she hadn't figured it out). It definitely didn't take Edward telling me later, when Hermione was having a shower preparing for school tomorrow morning, that Alice had found in Hermione, what he had found in me.

My last term of school is about to start, and after I graduate, my whole world is going to both close and open up. Alice promised the Volturi that I'd be Turned, and as much as Edward hates the idea of me becoming a vampire, it's a fact- I am going to become one. I don't like hurting Edward, and I know me wanting to become a 'monster' hurts him, but the idea of not being able to be with Edward forever is...

Well, I think my catatonic state last year showed exactly how well I coped with that. Not being with Edward was torture, plain and simple. I loved him. I was ready to give up everything for him. I was happy to give up everything for him. I knew that if he could become human for me, he would, and just as easily I would become a vampire for him.

I knew Hermione was going to live for a long time, after all the natural life span of witches and wizards is around the two hundred mark, but the idea of Hermione dying and me living without her is... the stuff nightmares are made out of. But with Alice having found her soul mate in Hermione, I was suddenly filled with the sort of selfish, forbidden hope that Hermione would be Turned too.

-

After lunch with the Cullen family, Edward, Hermione and I returned home, and Hermione disappeared up to her room while Edward and I filled out college applications. Edward insisted I fill one out for Dartmouth, despite my protests that there was no point.

Dinner was a simple affair, Edward disappearing home for a few hours while Hermione helped me cook a lasagna, using magic to hurry the process along, much to my delight and wonderment. Watching spoons stir themselves, watching as bowls and trays floated around the kitchen while knives chopped up ingredients with no hand needed to hold them... it was like stepping into a different world.

After dinner, Hermione hung around for a little while, and we talked about school tomorrow, before she, once again, disappeared up to her room. This worried me- we didn't keep secrets from each other. This was a well-established fact of our relationship. Hermione wasn't lying to me, but her avoidance to even breach the subject of the last three years of her life worried me. I considered pushing for her to talk to me, but I hesitated in doing so. Her earlier revelation of Fred's death had shocked me. I'd never actually met the red-haired prankster, but I'd seen photos, and from the details in Hermione's letters, it was like I almost knew him. I was genuinely fond of him.

And he was dead.

This was one death, one small slip about what she had lived through, and I found that I was actually genuinely frightened about asking her what had happened. There was a sick feeling in my stomach that kept building every time I saw Hermione's eyes go haunted, as what she saw wasn't what the rest of us did, nightmares dancing in her vision. My stomach flipped every time I saw the way loud noises made her tense, hand automatically reached for her wand. I felt nauseous when I remembered how she had nearly attacked me, that first night, being so lost in a memory, in instincts. In fear.

I'd only ever seen Hermione afraid once before, in all the years I'd known her, loved her, and that was when we'd said goodbye, three years ago, and we'd both realised that we might never see each other again.

That night, as I snuggled up with Edward in bed, curled up in his arms with a thick comforter in between us so I didn't start shivering with cold from his rather low body heat, he spoke up. "You're awfully quiet tonight." He murmured.