Chapter Four: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER FOUR:

Hermione's POV:

Surrounded by the shifters, I picked at my dinner, avoiding the eyes around me. Eating was proving to be a feat, as my stomach was still used to the smallest of portions, nothing like the feast Emily has cooked up.

It's certainly a good thing I'm so used to people staring at me, otherwise I'd be starting to freak out about now- every shifter, and every adult present too, kept trying to stare at me without me noticing, but battle-honed instincts had me aware of every set of eyes turned to me, whether I could see them staring or not.

But, as I said, I am used to being stared at, thanks to being Harry Potter's best friend, as well as the temporary girlfriend of Quidditch World Champion Viktor Krum and one of the saviors of the Wizarding World. I've gotten used to having eyes glued to me, having my picture in the paper and my personal life picked apart by reporters, as sad as that sounds.

Jacob had spent dinner glued to Bella's side, his feelings for her painfully obvious to everyone except her, and it wasn't until we'd all eaten that he turned to me. He was a handsome guy; thick, toned and muscular, his build mirrored that of a serious bodybuilder, though it was balanced by his tremendous height of six foot seven. He had glossy black hair cut short, his skin was silky and russet-colored.

He was the first one to summon the courage to start a conversation with me, backed up by two people who had introduced themselves as Quil and Embry. Quil was a tall and burly boy with a buzz cut and an impish grin, while Embry was slim, with messy cropped hair.

"So... will you be going to Forks High?" He asks, more as a conversation starter, then out of genuine curiosity. I settle back slightly, glad to have an excuse to push away my plate, which I've barely touched.

"Yes, I'll be a senior, along with Bella." I tell him.

"Where in England did you live?" Quil asks, eagerly.

"I lived in the Hampstead Garden Suburb in London," I answer, honestly, "though I spent a majority of my time over the school holidays with either Bella or my boarding school friends in Ottery St. Catchpole." They all look at me as if I was speaking in Italian, or something, and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Ottery St. Catchpole is in Devon, a large county in the South West of England." More blank looks, and I bite back the urge to sigh.

"Where did you go to high school?" This time it's one of the others, Jared his name is, with his girlfriend Kim standing beside him.

"A very stuffy, very posh boarding school in Scotland." I answer her, somewhat vaguely, "Maccallion Academy." Maccallion Academy was a real boarding school I'd looked up, before my first year at Hogwarts, for whenever people asked me where I went to school. 

"Why Scotland? I mean, aren't there boarding schools in England?" Emily asks, curiously.

"The Academy... it's highly specialised and highly selective," I explain, "I was lucky to get in there- most people don't." Which, in a way, is all true.

"So why are you going to Forks High then?" An exotically beautiful young woman spoke up next, her voice cold. She's lovely looking, with perfect copper skin, and lush, dark hair cut short, but she seems... unhappy, and closed off, and I don't think it's just my presence.

I make a note to talk to Bella about her afterwards and, not letting her tone upset me in any way (she has nothing on a Slytherin), and I wink as I answer her question. "I got expelled."

Bella laughs at the inside joke, being the only one here besides Charlie, who is seated too far away to hear, who understands my work ethic. "I graduated early from the Academy," I explain properly to my confused crowd, "but since I've moved to America, I'd like to get an American High School Certificate of Education too." Bella chooses now to speak up.