Lovable

Tumblr account credits to:
imagines--harrystyles

(Names have been changed to imagine book)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though you knew it would end up like this, you couldn't help the shock and misery that immediately followed your break-up with Nate. But you didn't have a choice other than to walk away from him, and that's what you did after that night at the bar. You and Nate had gone out with some of his friends and you'd excused yourself to go the restroom when Nate's drunkenness and subconscious, most likely, took over. You returned from the bathroom, without Nate realizing you'd come back yet, and you found him up on another girl while he and his drunk friends all laughed.
"Might prefer one like you!" You'd heard Nate exclaim, talking more loudly than usual due to his drunken state as his hand slipped too far down the girl's back and he started grinding on her. She was thinner than you, more beautiful, you'd assumed, and Nate preferred one like her. Those words repeated in your head what seemed like a thousand times a day since you'd heard them come out of his mouth.
You'd had no choice but to walk away. Of course, Nate tried to blame it on his drunkenness, saying he would obviously never do anything like that sober. He never said he didn't mean it, though, and it was already too late. What was done was done, he couldn't undo it and you deserved better, and you knew it.
But you hadn't planned on finding someone else so quickly after. It had only been a couple of weeks since you ended it with Nate, or more like he ended it himself in doing what he did, that you started hitting it off with one of your coworkers who you'd never paid much attention to before. And you hadn't realized how similar you both were since you were always so caught up in your relationship with Nate before, so you both decided to do what felt natural and start going out. And you were determined to prove to yourself and your new man that you were worth loving, that you were lovable and that you deserved to be loved. So you didn't mind when pictures of the two of you kissing were posted on your social media accounts by your friends, and you minded even less that Nate was likely going to see them.
And after all that'd happened with him, you weren't even sure anymore if you missed him. It was more like you missed the idea of him and who you thought he was before he broke your heart. It still hurt so bad, not being able to wake up to him anymore or cuddle against him watching movies, but you knew at the same time that it couldn't be like that again. Because that Nate wasn't who he really is, you'd had to discover. So Nate wasn't what you missed, it was more of what could have been if he hadn't have been... Nate.
But you tried your best to focus on the new man in your life now, and you had no idea the agony that Nate was going through as he regretted how he behaved that night and just wished he could have you back. So when he saw you and your new boyfriend at a club a couple of months after you'd broken up, it took everything in him to not rush over and beat the living shit out of the guy who was now grinding on you. But he knew that this was all his fault, that he was the one grinding on someone else when you were still together. So, as he watched your lips melt into this other man's, Nate walked out of that club onto the street, fists clenched and anger radiating from every part of him, not sure what he was going to do or where he'd go. All he knew was that he missed you, and he screwed up big time.
And he didn't notice that you'd seen him standing there and, despite the sudden sadness that washed over you at seeing the man you used to love, the small smile that had formed on your face when you watched him leave in anger. You'd wanted so badly to prove to Nate that you were lovable, to show him what you really deserved. And you felt hopeful now that you'd done just that.