Chapter Four

Chapter Four

We arrive at the hospital and walk through the sliding doors. The walls are white, the floors are white and it smells like rubbing alcohol. Becca buries her head in my neck as i piggy back her over to the waiting chairs. My mom tells the lady at the front desk who we are looking for, before walking back over to us.

“Well?” Tyler asks standing up

“Your mommy is in a coma and the doctors are checking on her.” my mom said sweetly.

“Whats a coma, Mary?” Becca asks from my lap.

“Isnt it a kind a snake?” Tyler asks

“NO, thats a cobra” I respond “a coma is when your sleeping and your body wont let you wake up.”

“Why?” Becca pleads

“So it can heal itself.” I respond.

“Why did momma crash?” Tyler asks suddenly

My heart skips a beat. I cant tell him, and i’m not even sure it was because of her drinking. I open my mouth but am saved by a small nurse who calls out “Stanley?”

My mom stands up, “These are her children, my daughter is their nanny.”

The nurse nods, “Ms. Stanley is in a coma. Would you like to see her?”

I look at the kids who slowly nod.

The nurse leads us through endless hallways with numerous numbered rooms before we enter room 345B.

I set Becca down and hold both of their hands as we slowly walk over to the hospital bed. My mom puts her hand on my shoulder and nods.

I look at the motionless figure in the bed. Her face is a pale white and her hair falls in loose strands on her pillow. Becca peaks over the bed’s rail and whimpers.

“Momma?” she whispers “Momma?!” she says louder

“Becca, mommy is sleeping so she can get better” I say calmly

“But she always wakes up when i call her.” Becca whines

“This is different” Tyler adds looking at the tangle of wires and machines his mom was hooked up to.

“Yeah” I whisper to Tyler

“Can we go” Tyler says tears pooling in his eyes.

“Momma” Beccaa cries

“Lets let momma rest on her own for a while.” I say grabbing Becca’s little hand. She wraps her arms around me and i pick her up. Tears fall down her rosy cheeks, as Tyler holds my hand tightly.

I wonder how these kids have such a strong connection to a mother who is never home. I guess it does not matter, their mom is their mom no matter what.

My mom leads us out of the room and into a nearby waiting room. I check the dusty clock on the wall, it reads 1:30 a.m. My mom takes a seat next to me, “Hon, do you wanna take the kids home and let them sleep?” she asks

“Yeah, its been a hard few hours for them” i say looking over to Tyler who’s head slumps backwards onto the chair. Becca lies sprawled out on a few conjoining chairs breathing quietly, her eyelids fluttering every so often.

My mom nods and I pick up Tyler. My mom picks up Becca and we walk to the car. After strapping them in I ask my mom, “Do you think it was her drinking that made her crash?”

My mom responds, “The nurse told me the doctors found alcohol in her system, and alot of it. They said she was lucky not to go into liver failure.”