The Talk

"What are you doing out here in the middle of the night?"

He was right. The sun had set long ago, but it's not like anyone gave Yosuga a curfew. No one was home, so why should she be?

"I could say the same to you."

After all, Sasuke was out here too. Though, unlike her, he had a real reason to be. A stupid, selfish one, but a reason nonetheless.

"Go home and sleep, Yosuga."

He walked right past her. Like he wasn't about to tear everyone he knew apart. Like he wasn't about to hurt the ones he held dear. What an asshole.

"Why don't you come with me?" She turned around to face him. His back was turned towards her. He stopped.

"You know I can't do that." Was all that he said. She shook her head.

"I don't know a lot of things. Like why you're doing this. Why you're about to make the biggest mistake of your life." She unhumorously tittered.

"Just go home." Sasuke continued walking.

"Don't you walk away from me, Uchiha!" Yosuga quickly caught up with him, grabbing his shoulder to make him face her. He just looked at the ground, suddenly quiet. She waited for him to say something, but he stayed silent. "What, so that's it? You're just going to leave? No goodbye, you're just going to run away? Why? Is it because you don't think you're strong enough or something?"

"I'm not strong enough!" Sasuke snapped. "That's what got me into this mess in the first place! I wasn't strong enough then, and I'm still not, even after all these years!"

"Yes you are." Yosuga whispered, tears reluctantly gathering in her eyes. "Why don't you see that? You're so obsessed with being stronger but you're blinded by how much Naruto has grown."

"I am not-"

"Yes you are. All you see is Naruto getting better and you feel inferior to him, because you can't see yourself growing either. But you are growing. You're just too stupid to-"

"I don't need a lecture from you, Yosuga." He glared at her, turning around to walk away again. Her lip shook, and she found herself at a loss for words for a second. She couldn't let him leave. So many have left. She didn't want to add him to that list. Sakura was counting on her.

"P-please." She had to force out. Sasuke kept walking. "Please." She said louder, her voice thick with emotion. He stopped this time. "I know it's selfish of me to want you to stay here when you don't want to. I know you don't feel special, or strong enough, so you feel like you have to leave to get that feeling." Her voice wavered. "But everyone's dying, and I don't know what to do about it. And I made you part of my new family, whether you like it or not. So please... please don't leave me." She nearly broke out into a son at the end, but just barely kept it in.

And he kept walking.

He knew she was crying as he walked away, so he didn't look back. He didn't want to see those pleading eyes of hers. He knew he'd forget about leaving right then and there if he did.

He never wanted to be the reason she cried. He never wanted to be the reason anyone cried. But he needed to be stronger. He needed to kill that certain man.

And desires like those came with consequences.