Saving the Stanley Kids

Start from the beginning

“Wells….”She stumbles “I want to have me feet wear these to the park.” She pulls sparkly gold high heels from behind her back.

I laugh before taking them from her grasp. “Well then, lets put them on” I say giggling and she sits down at the bottom of the stairs. I slip her tiny feet into the large heels, and help her stand. She laughs before taking one step and falling into me. I pick her up like a baby and say, “one day Becca, one day.”

We finally make it out of the house and start walking towards the park. The sun shines clearly, undisturbed by clouds. I hold Becca’stiny hand and decide not to hold Tyler’s as he might think its babyish.

I’m surprised as he slips his hand through mine and smiles. I grin trying not to make a big deal about it and we continue walking down the sidewalk.

“How was your day at school, Tyler?”

“It was great,” He says jumping up and down, “It was our last day, and I’m totally ready to be a second grader now!”

“That’s awesome, Tyler! You are going to make a great second greater.”

“How was your last day, Mary?” Tyler asks

“Hmm…well it was okay. I couldn’t stop thinking about our plans for the summer!”

Becca giggles before the park comes into our view “There it is!” She squeals.

“Go ahead,” I say “but make sure to stay where I can see you!”

They nod eagerly before dashing off. Tyler jumps onto a swing and Becca climbs through the jungle gym.

I look around the small park and find a picnic bench to sit on. I take out my phone and glance down to see its already 4:30. I start running through dinner plans in my head before I hear Becca yelling, “Mawy! Mawy! Help help me!” She pleads lifting her little arms up towards the baby swings. I get up and jog over to her. “Alright on the count of three” I say.

“one two, Twee” Becca counts as I effortlessly lift her into the swing. “Push, Push” she yells.

I take a step back and look at her before she quickly says, “Pleaseeeee, Mawy.”

“Of course!” I respond pushing her in the swing.

I look around for Tyler and see him playing on the monkey bars with another little boy. Their neighborhood is pretty small and everyone knows each other.

I smile as a little girl about Becca’s age, with short red hair is taught how to jump rope by her mom. A boy plays catch with his Dad in the field, and a mother pushes her twin babies in a stroller along the bike path.

Becca and Tyler are being brought up by a single mom who is always at work, and never has time to tuck them into bed, much less bring them to the park. Their dad died after the two were divorced. Ever since the divorce, Ms. Stanley has been having a hard time.

 Tyler drops roughly from the monkey bars, but gets right back up showing off his missing two front teeth. I push Becca higher, her legs kick the air, her blonde hair flies in the wind as she lets out a happy scream.

“I can fly, Mawy! Like a budderfly!”

“Yeah, Becca! You fly like a butterfly!” I say laughing as she sticks out her arms and flaps them.

Tyler runs over to me, “Mary, I’m hungry.”

“Yeah, me too.” Becca adds from her swing. “Do you know, even budderflies get hungry.”