Chapter 78: Let Me Love You

Mark and Melanie walked to a Starbucks cafe that morning. The Christmas decorations were all over the place as soon as December 1st was marked on the calendar. Even if there wasn't any snow yet–weird weather–we could feel the ambiance of the holidays coming with that sweet mellow song that played on the radio.

"Hi," Mark said.

"Hi! What can I serve you today?" The young employer asked behind the counter.

"I'll take a iced americano. And, for you?" He turned back to Melanie.

"Vanilla Latte. Thanks."

Watching Mark paying, it was the first time she actually found out there were Braille dots on the corner of the bills. She was amazed.

After getting their drinks, Melanie guided Mark along with her to a quiet space, near the back of the cafe. As it was almost full, where most people were students with their laptops on, she wanted for them to be alone. They sat down, facing each other while taking off their coats.

"You're gonna keep your hat on?" Melanie asked. His whole head looked smaller and we could barely see his face. Like a spy.

"I feel warm with it, though."

"I wanna see your face," she replied softly, almost shy to ask. It had been some time since their last meeting.

"Alright, I'll take it off."

A cute angelic, and charming Mark was then revealed with that lovely smile of his

A cute angelic, and charming Mark was then revealed with that lovely smile of his. Melanie's lips curled up a little, her cheeks warming up to the sight of this handsome guy. However, it seemed like he lost few pounds. She bit the inside of her lip nervously. Stress got him, she thought.

"You don't have class today?" she said as she leaned back comfortably on her seat with the hot cup between her hands.

Mark put his drink down after having a gulp of it. "I do," he said, "but I've decided not to go. I asked someone to record it for me."

Melanie kept staring at him in wonder while inclining her head.

"...Suddenly?"

"I had to see you... I haven't been good to you."

Melanie stared down at her latte, her fingers tapping on each side of the cup silently.

"I thought you didn't care about me no more," she almost whispered.

"I still care about you. I like you. The problem, it's me. I–"

"Are you, by any chance, ill?" Melanie interrupted as she feared the worst. Looking at how he lost some weight, and remembering that he didn't want to see her in the past days might have been excuses to hide something important to her.

"No, I'm fine," he reassured her.

Mark stood up from his seat and felt around to sit next to Melanie for more intimacy, to sense the closeness to talk to her.