Chapter 69: ...What?

From outside, JB's house looked completely dead. The lights from the living room and the first floor were off; everyone slept at this late hour. When he quietly entered inside, he perceived a gleam coming from the kitchen. He then heard hushed voices; surely his mom and aunt having a heated conversation.

"At this hour?" Discouraged, he frowned while shaking his head. He threw his shoes in the shoe storage and put on white slippers. 

The talk turned slowly into a bickering as their voices raised to normal mode. 

"Tomorrow? Ha!" Sora mocked. She adopted a firm tone. "Never!" 

"You don't get to choose," Sooyoung replied. "Anyway, I already told you I was going to tell them. Tomorrow, JB, Youngjae, and I are going out together and then I'll tell them before coming back home."

"This is," Sora tried to laugh it out, hiding her distress. "Ridiculous! Totally ridiculous!" This is too soon, Sooyoung-ah!"

"This is not too soon, it's already way too late, Sora. They're young adults now. They have the right to know."

JB stopped his steps as he cocked a brow. He mumbled something to himself and stayed behind the wall that separated the living room and the kitchen.

"It will destroy them completely..." Sora finally sighed.

"Well, I think it will make them stronger. JB already acts as a big brother to Youngjae, and Youngjae missed him a lot. I can already see how my little one is happier and has grown up in only few weeks. When Youngjae will know that JB is his real brother, I-"

"What?" JB appeared with a shocked face in the kitchen entrance.

The glass of water in Sooyoung's hand trembled as she saw JB. Sora just froze on the spot with wide eyes. She cleared her voice...

"Jaebeom-ah, you're back? How was the concert?" She walked closer to him, however, JB remained of stone.

He glanced back at Sooyoung whose eyes became round of fear. A hand on her chest, she tried to relax but it wasn't that easy.

"We're brothers?" he asked.

Sooyoung whole body now shivered, even more, her eyes turning wet of first tears to flow down her cheeks. As she remained silent, JB passed by Sora and went to Sooyoung, stopping few centimeters in front of her. He grabbed her glass and put it on the counter to avoid any minor breaking disaster at past midnight. When he eyed her once more, a tear finally left her eyes. His question, somehow, been answered. He drew back.

"I'm your mother, Jaebeom-ah," Sooyoung confessed.

JB took two steps behind wanting to avoid what he heard just now. 

"Are you making a joke because mom and I aren't in good terms? This ain't funny," he stammered a little bit.

Sooyoung shook her head as she responded with a hushed "no." 

When JB turned around to Sora, she avoided to make contact with his eyes, already wiping some tears that felt. It was rare to her in this state so he concluded that it was true. His eyes became humid, feeling hurt, rejected, not loved. When he turned back to Sooyoung, she brought her hands to her chest, taking a deep breath. 

"I'm sorry you have to hear about it that way." She extended her arm to reach him but he stepped back again. "I was young when I got pregnant and Sora took you away from me."

"Look at you!" Sora rushed to her sister. "You better watch your words, Choi Sooyoung! 'Took him away from you?' You only want to make me look like a bad witch in front of him since the start! That's what you wanted, uh?!" She shrilled.