Chapter 48: Gibberish

"What are you guys doing?" Melanie arrived behind them from the restrooms. Only their backs showed as they froze on the spot at the sound of her voice. They slowly turned back to see her standing still and her eyes immediately moved on to her opened wallet in JB's hand. This last one gulped in a nervous way like he has been caught in the act. The other guys wouldn't utter a word at first thinking about a good explanation.

 The other guys wouldn't utter a word at first thinking about a good explanation

"..." JB babbled nonsense as Melanie stared at him with an expression hard to guess the meaning behind it. She snatched the wallet from his hands and took back her bag from Jackson still in complete silence. The coldness on her face told it all; she wasn't happy. In a situation like this, she preferred to remain quiet because if not she would explode. The painful silence that threatened the guys to be on their guards.

"Listen, that's my fault," Junior started.

Melanie gave him a blank stare and remained strong as a stone. "What were you looking for?" She asked with a dominant tone in her voice.

Junior thought about what to say. He couldn't tell her they searched for her birthdate because the surprise would be ruined. His lips parted but no sound came out.

"Money!" Jackson shouted. He tried to act the most normal possible. JB and Junior turned their heads to him and begged for him to not say something ridiculous. He continued, "Yes, money! We were buying ice cream and..." He paused and glanced at JB for a moment. "We needed more money. They only take cash here, no cards."

Melanie looked at them one at a time. "Is it true?"

"Y-Y-Yeah," JB stuttered a little praying for her to fall for it while Junior only stared at the ground.

"If it's true then why do you act like kids who just committed something bad when I came?"

"Because you look scary," Jackson defended his friends. "Even Junior cannot look at you right now," he teased.

Her face suddenly relaxed hearing she scared them and she gazed at Junior. She never thought of this. Her? Scary? Somewhat, she felt proud. "You just had to wait till I came back, why the rush? And, I thought you guys were some rich kids."

"I didn't say we were poor, I said we don't have a lot of cash money, okay? Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. I just have my credit card with me," Jackson added to avoid misunderstandings and showed off his wealthy status. The guys grimaced at him.

Melanie squinted at him seriously and then checked out her wallet. "I'm sorry, I'm also a credit card holder person. I guess no ice cream for me too," she simply replied.

Meanwhile, the two new friends behind, Yugyeom and Youngjae had time to buy their own Drumstick ice creams. Melanie noticed Mark with two special made Häagen-dazs cups in his hands.

He walked toward them. "Where's Melanie?"

"I'm right here Mark."

The guys moved to let him walk to her. "Here is one for you. Cookies and cream as you like it."