Chapter 71: Awaken [part. 1]

As Melanie came back from work, before she could head home she stopped by the pharmacy buying some essentials she needed. The streets were empty, quiet. Melanie felt some peace walking alone but somehow she felt strange. She passed by the park and it was tranquil. The mist this morning made everything remaining humid and cold in the afternoon. Still watching the view, she perceived a familiar silhouette in the background.

Alone on a bench, the person kept mumbling words, his tone raising at some moments. He seemed annoyed by something. Then, he hid his face in his hands, quietly shedding tears.

Melanie walked closer and with each step forward, she became more and more curious, yet concerned.

She bent down a little, tilting her head. "Youngjae?" she said still uncertain. It worried her to find him here alone, crying. Especially him.

He sniffed few times before revealing his face and he saw it was Melanie. His face was all wet. Her Sunshine faded away.

Surprised, she put her handbag aside and sat next to him.

"Eotteoke? (What to do?) What's going on? Gwenchana? (Are you okay?)"

"Jaebeom hyung... Michyeosseo... (Crazy...) He's crazy... And scream," he trailed off while gesturing with his arms. He mimicked JB.

Melanie's strange feeling suddenly intensified, she heated up from an unknown fear. Her eyes were alert as she listened to him.

"Are you okay? You're not hurt?" She scanned him from head to toe to notice any possible injuries.

"No," he replied in his accent.

"Where is JB now?"

"Home."

Melanie stood up. "Go to Junior. It's cold outside. I'll go see JB."

Youngjae pulled her arm. "No! No! Jaebal (Please), Jaebeom..." He shook his head vigorously and Melanie could see the fear in his eyes. "He's scary. Too angry."

"I'll be fine," she reassured him confidently. The gut feeling told her she had to go, she had to do something. "Go to Junior, okay?" she repeated.

"No, I stay here."

Melanie sighed. This idea of him all alone in the park and the cold bothered her. "Okay, but if you're too cold, you'll go to Junior. Promise?"

She handed out her pinky finger. Youngjae did the sign with her, agreeing, and watched her leave.

After getting out of the park, she walked straight ahead, then crossed the street and continued on her way passing by ten houses. The familiar blue car drove by next to her, accelerating and vanishing out of sight in the corner. She cocked a brow as she thought she recognized JB's parents inside. In only five minutes, she arrived in front of his house across the street.

After pressing the doorbell, she waited but no response. The second time, she waited longer and then decided to put an ear on the door; total silence.

"Isn't he home?" She put her ear again on the door. "Of course he won't op-" she gasped at the sound of a crash of glass. She flinched back, startled. Her heartbeat sped up.

Few seconds of calming herself, she tried considering other options, or even giving up. As she stepped back, she could see the backyard entrance to her left.

"The flower pot!" she exclaimed while snapping her fingers. JB always hid a copy of the house key. She hurried to the back, unlocking the fence, and then went to lifted the flower pot. "Okay!" The key was still there. She walked back to the front door, took a deep breath, and opened the door successfully. She hopped inside and pushed the door behind her.