Chapter 36: Shouldn't Have...

Melissa prepared herself to go to school. Rain poured heavily outside. She prepared herself to sneak in her sister's room to steal her umbrella for the day. She turned the door handle in a slow motion to not wake her up, however, the door opened suddenly.

Melanie appeared in front of her in a déja vu state; a complete lifeless body heading to the bathroom. Eyes red and puffy, Melissa observed her sister with worry.

Who made you like that?

When she got out of the bathroom, Melanie returned to her room passing by her sister like she was not there and closed the door behind her. Melissa blinked her eyes multiple times, feeling rejected by her behavior. She knocked on the door and opened it right away.

The thick blinds hid the daylight making the room obscure as if no one lived there. On the large queen bed, the quilt camouflaged her sister's body.

"Are you okay?" Melissa queried.

Few seconds of emptiness, Melanie muttered a "Hm."

"I know you're not, though."

"Don't you have to go to school?"

"Yes." Melissa sighed while looking at her discouraged. She stole her umbrella and left the room like a shadow. After grabbing her stuff for the day she left the house. This time no more sound except the concealed weep of Melanie under the thick bed cover.

Loneliness haunted her again; maybe it was her destiny. No one to talk about her worries... no friends... no lover. Too much testosterone around her could be problematic; she has been hanging out with boys since the beginning of the semester. Today, she was crying again because of one of them.

Phone vibrating...

On her side, the phone rang since last night. As soon as she entered home Mark called her without end, but she would not respond. This morning... it must be him, but no move from her again.

Ding Dong!

"Grrrr..." Face on her pillow, she growled.

Ding Dong!

"AH, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" Her voice echoed in the empty house as the sudden rage took possession of her. The thunder also seemed as angry as her; the loud sound made Melanie shiver for an instant.

No more sound resonated, only her breath filled the air with drops of rain hitting the window. The sadness of last night resulted in making her eyelids half-opened. However, staying like this thinking about Mark, and that Gui Gui would be such a waste.

She grabbed her phone and unlocked it. The screen photo showed her smiling with closed eyes as Mark embraced her in his arms while rubbing his nose on her cheek. Hugging. Eskimo kiss on the cheek. How their skinship had taken birth since the beginning even before their first kiss. She remembered the day when she thought about staying on the friend zone; they should have stayed friends.

However, she dearly missed the tone of his voice, the words that made her heart flutter.

Marky Boo36 missed calls

She sighed at the number, "36..." and sat up on her bed. She felt bad. "Thirty-six missed calls... He must feel bad." She didn't know what to do. The angel side of her told her to forgive him and to call him back to have an honest conversation. The devil side of her told her to ignore him as it was too late for forgiveness; he should have been careful with his acts.

Buzz sound... ID caller: Marky Boo

She gasped and froze as his name popped up with the photo of him caressing Coco. She slid her finger on the right side of the screen turning down the call. Two hands on her face, she felt riddled with guilt. Even if she still liked him, deep inside, the trust weakened. It was difficult for her to open up to someone, even more when love knocked her door for the first time.