Chapter 17: You Go To My Head

After coming out from church, my family and I went to eat brunch together.

This morning was particularly special cause my two older sisters were here, plus my two nieces.

They couldn't really celebrate my birthday yesterday. They came today so we could enjoy some time within ourselves.

We were having a good time; I kept joking with my brother and playing with one of my niece, Kylie while Leila was fed by the help of her mother.

My mom, my dad and my oldest sister, Grace, were kind of jokingly bickering one another.

Then, my dad decided to change the subject, to me...

"So, Mark?" my dad started, "...you know you didn't talk about that appointment you had last week with Dr. Lewis. When I asked you about it, you wouldn't say anything..."

You want me to bring this subject now?

"Hey dad, do you think it's a good idea to talk about that now?" Tammy, my other sister said.

"What's wrong? We aren't strangers, we are a family, why not?" my dad replied back.

"Darling, you don't need to, but of course we would like to know." my mom expressed to me.

"Hmmm..." I started, "...first, I had so much informations to deal with that I left with a big headache...but, about my blindness...I still don't know."

My mood suddenly went down...

"You don't want to do the surgery ? You could see again."

"I still don't know...I've been blind for 17 years now. I'm scared. If i'm able to see again, it will be...too different. What if I don't like what I see ?"

"It'a pretty sensitive matter..." Grace thought.

"You know, we won't take the decision for you. Think about it carefully, take your time. When you'll be ready, we'll support you 100%." my dad exclaimed.

"Thanks."

"You're a young adult now and new challenges will definitely come your way. I think, it would be easier for you if you do the surgery. You'll be even more independant. That's only my opinion." Grace told me frankly.

"Don't forget he'll have to learn new things all his life, like you know, it might be shocking a bit." Tammy said.

"Well, his friends will help him...especially Melanie." my dad revealed.

My heart stopped for a moment...what?! Why is he talking about her?!

"Uh? Who's Melanie? What about Krystal?"

That name again...and again.

"I'm not with her anymore."

"For real?...sorry Marky."

"So, who's that Melanie then?",my other sister asked, curious.

"Ahh, she takes good care of him." my brother joined, in a teasing tone.

I nudged him on the side real hard.

"She's such a good girl, so polite." my mom said.

"Do you like her Marky?" Tammy said, then "She's asian right?" my oldest sister Grace, added.

"Why are you like this to me? She's... just a friend and, no she ain't asian."

"Yeah yeah. You know, I was the one filming at your b-day yesterday." My dad interrupted in the middle. I could feel he was smiling by the he talked, "The two of you had some special chemistry going on..."