Chapter 35: It's Risky

Note: I think it would be better to watch the video after reading the chapter, so you can focus on the lyrics and understand the meaning.

***

"Hmmm! So yummy! It still has the same taste!" Emma expressed joyfully while licking some of her favorite ice cream.

Her and Mark used to come at the ice cream store cause it was the best of all. They would always order the same flavor each time.

"I know right, it still taste the same." he acknowledged easily.

"You know what? We should go to that outdoor market we used to wander in Chinatown. Remember we used to smell the tasty food when we didn't have any money. We kept daydreaming about food after that."

"Haha yeah! But this time, we're able to buy whatever we want."

They rode the bus to get to Chinatown. While there, they found the market as the aroma was tickling their nostrils.

Lucky for them, there wasn't a lot of people so they could wander at their ease. They bought a variety of delicious street snacks here and there.

They sat on a bench near an open area for pedestrians with a view of a endless river.

"Ahh, it felt good to do that again." Emma was pleased.

"Yeah, i've missed it. It brings back memories." Mark had a large grin on his face remembering all the things they did in the past.

"Yeah, just the two of us. No sighted people to bring us down on our blind craziness!"

"Haha yes!" Mark exclaimed as he felt great again to have a friend like him by his side.

"Sometimes sighted people annoy me so much with their caprices and stuffs. I don't think i'll ever date a sighted man. He could take advantage of me. He'll never understand me."

Mark's lips curled up weakly, trying to understand her point. He retorted gently, "Not all sighted people are like that..."

"Maybe, however they'll never understand us a hundred percent. I always try to go for people like us."

"Have you...dated sighted guys before?"

"Yes and it was a nightmare. When everything wouldn't work, they blamed me. They said things like..."

Emma paused for a while, and then continued, "Being with a blind person is hard. Being with a blind person is everyone looking at us awkwardly. Being with a blind person is always them being your protector or guide. Being with a blind person is them having more responsabilities in the couple as they are things we can't do."

Her words repeated in Mark's brain. He couldn't think of anything else but his two past girlfriends.

He thought Emma was right on everything. All of these were some reasons of their broke up. Now thinking about Melanie, he didn't know what to think anymore.

"But...some couples have succeeded." he said.

"Yeah, but not a lot. Couples where the girl is blind have more chances. If a sighted girl was to date a blind man, she'll be overwhelmed. She would have the impression to take care and protect him like a guy is supposed to do in a couple."

Mark's body heated up and he clenched his teeth at the thought of it. Emma must have had some unhealthy relationships in the past to be this pessimist about it.