Chapter 5: Let's Be Friends!

Melanie's pov

I was returning home from shopping, but I desired to enjoy the great weather a bit more. I entered the park near my house. I had so much shopping bags I needed a break; my arms hurt. I sat on a bench in front of the large green soccer field; some kids played.

I loved the peaceful sound of nature; only the kids' cheers added to it. Somewhat, an emptiness surrounded me, feeling even more lonely. Well, I got used to that.

I caught sight of a handsome guy walking on the footpath. Mark. I called out his name even if he was the reason of my tears earlier, but it was not really his fault.

"Mark? Where are you going?"

"That voice... Melanie?"

"Yes, it's me." as he walked towards me, tip-tapping his white rod left to right carefully.

"Oh, so you are here too..." He made a slight smirk.

"Yeah," I uttered. I suddenly regretted to have called his name. When you are used to be alone for so long, the presence of people was annoying at times. However, Mark's aura made me feel good. I told him, "I was enjoying the weather, and I felt a bit tired from shopping so I took a break." Why would I tell him I went shopping?

"You did some shopping? You did not have class?"

"I didn't want to go." I sighed and didn't explain more about it.

When I thought he would just continue his walking and ignoring me, he asked, "Can I sit next to you?"

I cleared my voice, "O-Okay."

He found the free spot next to me before sitting down and folding his cane under his arm. He turned his head to me and it was the first time to see his face that close to mine. I couldn't look away as his deep eyes focused on a spot on me and he talked calmly, "I'm sorry." I blinked my eyes multiple times. So, he knew? He continued, "I've made you cry, no? That's why I'm apologizing to you."

Yes, he knew. I felt a weird sensation inside and gazed away. "It's okay, you didn't know," I expressed. There was a moment of silence again.

"I guess you went shopping because you were feeling sad, don't you?"

How can he read my mind easily like that? Do you have a sixth sense too?

"Yes," I replied.

"Did you have fun?" he asked with a serious tone. Why he's asking so many questions, like... forget it. At first, I winced with embarrassment. At the same time, it felt like I couldn't hide things from him. Perhaps, a comfortable feeling?

I admitted my honest thoughts, "Not as much as I thought I would."

He grinned. Wait, why did he smile like that? It wasn't funny! Then, he turned his head and lifted it up still smiling widely. I frowned not sure what his action meant.

"Can you hear it?"

"Huh, hear what?"

"Close your eyes and listens." I froze not sure to comprehend the reason he asked me to do that, but I did it anyway. I closed my eyes. "Can you feel it? The breeze; it gives life to things I can't see. You hear it? The sound of the leaves shaking together. The birds chirping for joy while they dance in the sky, around the sun. The heat waking up every scent of the nature; the grass, the flowers, the bushes, the trees, and you."

My eyes opened right away when he mentioned me. I faced him and he looked down before saying these last words, "Your perfume melting in my nose making me feel you next to me."