Chapter 58: Friendship Code

As Jin was waiting for Sena to be tested for the medical report, she texted to Wonwoo to make sure he was okay. She had been worried about him ever since Mingyu told her about the distressing phone call. Wonwoo did not answer, but she did receive a message from Seokmin.

I miss talking to you like before. I know you're angry with me because I haven't been very supportive of Vernon. But if I promise not to talk about him at all, will you come over tomorrow morning?

Jin honestly felt that she missed him too. It felt like the two of them have grown apart lately with all that was happening. She missed the warmth that she felt when she was around him, and she really wanted things to go back to the way they were before.

Okay, Jin responded.

-

Sena came out of the clinic looking majorly uncomfortable about what had happened in there. Jin understood why. There were doctors inspecting and photographing her violated body; it must have been hard for her. But at least she came out of it with an official report on paper stating very explicitly that a rape had definitely taken place.

Jin decided not to mention taking it to the police station. Sena seemed quite weary of the process now, and too uncomfortable with what had happened to be told to do anything else.

-

The next morning, Jin walked the familiar path towards Vernon and Seokmin's building. Lately, she had only walked this path to go to Vernon's room, and it had been almost too long since she walked it to go to Seokmin's.

When she arrived, she was greeted brightly by Seokmin. It was clear that he was trying to act like he normally would, trying to act that like he didn't know she had feelings for him, or that her best friend had broken his heart.

All of the feelings she had been subduing came back to her when she saw him. It was laughable that she thought she was over him; feelings don't fade so easily. This time, however, her feelings felt almost impersonal. They felt like they were there in her heart only to be erased and never to be used. Seokmin was so far out of her reach now, and so her feelings were expendable.

"How is Sena?" Seokmin asked her as they settled on his bed, "I see you two are talking again."

Jin nodded, "she's getting better, I think."

"Good. Can I know what was wrong with her? I know there's something you guys aren't telling me."

"You're right," Jin admitted.

"I'm guessing you won't tell me what it is?"

Jin shook her head.

"As long as she's okay."

"Are you okay?" Jin asked him.

"I'm fine. My heart was only torn into a billion pieces and trampled on without an explanation, but I'm a big boy; I can handle it," he joked.

Jin tried not to smile at the amusing way he said it.

"It's okay, you can laugh at my misfortune," Seokmin continued joking, earning another smile from Jin.

"Stop making me laugh," Jin told him.

"I want to make you laugh. It's been too long since I did," Seokmin continued, eying Jin with fondness. "I missed you being here."

Jin nodded, wanting to tell him that she missed him too, but she held back. It would have probably sounded too affectionate coming from her, especially considering he knew about her feelings for him.