Chapter 53: Self-Conscious

Jin went to Wonwoo's dorm to pick him up like before. She had not been planning to (because she was still angry at him for being so demanding about Vernon), but she found that she had left her dorm early in order to end the conversation with Sena and had nothing else to do.

She hoped that Wonwoo wouldn't bring up Vernon. The last thing she needed was more discouragement and more bitterness against her friends.

She knocked on Wonwoo's door. He didn't answer the first time. Nor the second time. Nor the third. Just as she was about to give up, he opened it. He looked like he had just woken up.

"Did I wake you?" Jin asked him.

"I'm glad you did or I would have missed class. Come in," he said as he wiped the sleep from his eyes, "I was modeling yesterday and we ended late."

"How was it?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Wonwoo told her as he grabbed a change of clothes and entered the bathroom.

While she waited for him to shower and change, she got a text from Vernon responding to her text to move up the date: whatever you say, Frostbite. I'll pick you up at 6:00 PM from in front of your dorm. Looking forward to it!

Jin felt a nervous pit in her stomach all of the sudden. It was actually happening. Her first date was actually happening.

When Wonwoo finally came out of the bathroom, he immediately asked if she had spoken to Sena.

"I did," Jin responded, "we made up and then argued again."

Wonwoo frowned. "Argued about what?"

"Vernon. She also thinks he's manipulative and that he's using me. And she thinks I'm stupid for falling for it."

Wonwoo paused for a moment, "well, she's wrong. You can make your own decisions, and she should respect that."

Jin narrowed her eyes at Wonwoo. He was one of those who had been so violently against her date with Vernon before...

"Sorry about the way I treated you with this whole issue," Wonwoo explained, "if you want to date Vernon knowing all that you know about him, then go for it. Who am I to tell you not to?"

Jin smiled and nodded her head to accept his apology. It was so good to finally have one person who didn't treat her like some child and actually respected her decision. Finally.

"So... when's your first date?" Wonwoo asked uncertainly.

"Tonight," Jin replied, feeling that nervous pit again.

"What are you going to wear?"

She hadn't thought about that, and it came as a sudden realization that she had to. She suddenly panicked. She was supposed to look pretty for a date, wasn't she? And she had nothing particularly pretty to wear.

"You don't know?" Wonwoo asked, noticing the sudden panic in her face.

Jin shook her head.

"We'll figure something out," Wonwoo told her with a reassuring smile.

"I'll probably just go wearing normal clothes," Jin told him. It was too late to go buy anything after all.

"Come on," Wonwoo told her. "Don't you want to try a little harder than normal?"

"I don't have anything."

"I'm sure Sena can hook you up."

"Me and Sena aren't even on good terms yet."