Chapter 27: Grey Cloud

Throughout the entire class, Wonwoo was just looking at his notes, avoiding people's eyes and feeling vulnerable. She could tell from the way he was stiff, and how little he engaged with the class. He did not write notes nor raise his hand to answer questions.

Although Wonwoo hated theology, he was still interested in it. Usually, he was so engaged with everything that they learned in class, but now, he seemed so out of it. Jin felt like she had an obligation to calm him, but there was nothing she could do.

When class was over, Wonwoo seemed relieved.

"I want to go back to my dorm," he told Jin, "I feel like a deer surrounded by hungry carnivores."

It was lunchtime, and Sena and Seokmin would have probably been waiting for them in the cafeteria. Jin requested that he at least join them for that. Wonwoo agreed after a little bit of protest and a promise that they would sit away from everyone else.

As they walked out of the class, Wonwoo reached out with his hand, shyly and wordlessly requesting that she take it. Jin immediately conceded and held it.

"It shuts people up," Wonwoo explained sheepishly as they walked hand in hand.

Jin nodded in understanding.

They found Sena and Seokmin sitting down beside each other waiting for them in the cafeteria. As Jin and Wonwoo approached them, she saw Sena laugh at something that Seokmin said, and she saw him smile brightly back at her. It brought back that tingling feeling she identified as jealousy. She suppressed it though. Now was not the time to think about jealousy.

Jin and Wonwoo came closer to them, and when they noticed them together, both seemed surprised at the handholding. The surprise didn't last long, as both seemed to catch on as to why it was happening.

"Hey," Seokmin greeted them, looking sympathetically onto Wonwoo. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm okay," Wonwoo responded in somewhat of a lie.

Jin suggested that they eat in the outdoor patio, where no one usually ate because it was cold. Both Sena and Seokmin agreed immediately.

When they went to buy their lunch, Wonwoo said he would not eat.

"Why not?" Sena asked him.

"My roommate moved out so I have to pay twice as much for rent. I can't afford the luxury of everyday lunch anymore," he explained.

Jin offered to pay for him, but he said he would never take it. Seokmin told her that it was hopeless to insist, and that his pride is worth much more to him than lunch. As Wonwoo waited for them in the patio, the three of them bought lunch. Sena bought an extra one for Wonwoo. She said she would force it down his throat if she had to.

They sat down on a table, and Sena place the tray right in front of Wonwoo.

"No," Wonwoo said to Sena, conviction in his eyes as he eyed her sternly.

"I already bought it," Sena complained, "you'd be wasting money if you don't eat it."

"No," he repeated, "you eat it."

"I'm repaying you for carrying me the night of the party, so it's not like you didn't earn it."

"Sena..."

"Eat. If you don't eat, none of us will eat," she spoke for all of them crossing hers arms haughtily. Seokmin, who had already started eating, immediately put down his chopsticks brusquely.

After a moment's hesitation, Wonwoo picked up his chopsticks. Sena clapped her hands and smiled in triumph.

"I'm paying you back," Wonwoo said, pointing at her with his chopstick before digging into his food.