Chapter 38: My Heart Hurts

When Jin finished writing, she was crying quite a lot. She was embarrassed to be doing so in front of Vernon. How stupid must he think she is, crying over a boy dating someone else. She didn't look up at him; she just covered her face with her hands and hoped she would stop soon.

She realized that she wasn't going to stop any time soon, and that in order to stop, she really needed to do something to ease that heaviness in her chest. She uncovered her face and took a shot of the soju. She poured another shot, and also drank it.

The smallness of the cup irritated her, and so she just took the bottle and started drinking from it.

"Don't get drunk," Vernon told her as he took the bottle from her hand, "or you won't be able to ride back with me."

The fact she would not be able to ride back was actually the least of her problems right now. She hated that motorcycle anyways; it made her sick. Plus riding back meant going back to her dorm room, a dorm room she shared with Sena. She suddenly realized how much she really did not want to ride back with him at all.

Starting to feel a little lightheaded, and frustrated at the memory of Sena, she snatched the bottle back from him and continued to drink from it. This time, Vernon did not stop her when she gulped down the rest of the contents.

Somehow, the strong taste helped alleviate the pain in her chest. It was suddenly easier to deal with it. Jin was aware that this meant a loss of control over her own self, but she didn't care.

"More please," she slurred to Vernon with a pout, "please."

"That's enough," Vernon told her with a serious look on his face.

"You can't tell me what to do," she exclaimed loudly at him, which caused Vernon to wince.

"They probably heard you, you know," Vernon said to her, "lower your voice."

"Don't remind me of them," Jin said, pouting.

"You really love him, don't you?" Vernon asked her.

"You already know how I feel," Jin said, "you read my life, remember?"

"You talk a lot more when you're drunk," Vernon pointed out.

"Screw you," Jin said, "get me more soju please."

"Do you want to pass out?"

"Yes!" Jin exclaimed, "that's the point."

"Get it together, Frostbite," Vernon told her. "He likes someone else; move on. I get that you like him and all, but he's not worth passing out drunk for, to be honest. He's not even that good-looking."

She pouted, and wiped her tears and sniffled: "my heart hurts," she said, putting her hand on her aching chest.

He looked sympathetic.

"It hurts so much," she said again and closed her eyes to let the tears stroll down again. "Please, more," she requested again.

The next thing she knew, the waitress had come and given them another one.

"Don't drink it all at once," he instructed, "or I'll take it from you."

She nodded and drank a few more sips. She knew that she was feeling dangerously lightheaded, and that she will lose consciousness at any moment, but that did not stop her. It felt good, and that was all that mattered.

It was Vernon that stopped her, pulling the bottle from her hand.

"That's it, no more for you," he scolded.