Chapter 6: Secondary

Jin was in the dorm room she shared with Sena and working on college readings, when she suddenly got a call from Soekmin. She became nervous. Ever since that fateful meeting when he said he want to help her find someone to date, Jin had felt weird. Whenever she thought of Seokmin, she felt uncomfortable.

Nervously, she picked up.

"Hey," she said.

"Hey Jin," he replied quickly, "where are you now?"

"In my room."

"Is Sena around?"

"No, she's out somewhere."

"Great, are you free?"

"More or less. Why?"

"Come over, I was looking at the Facebook profiles of some of the guys you told me, and it felt kind of weird doing this without you. Come over and we'll look together," he said.

Jin agreed. She wasn't necessarily looking forward to talking to Seokmin about her ideal guys and stalking Facebook profiles with him, but she felt bad saying no given that he actually took the effort.

This was a problem for Jin: she just couldn't say no to anyone really.

He told her where his dorm was, and she got ready. She put on a random outfit and went outside. It was only when she walked for a bit that she realized how cold it was. Too lazy to go back inside and get a coat, she just carried on and decided to deal with it.

But it was really cold. She put her arms around herself and rubbed in an attempt to stay warm as she walked.

As she made her way to Seokmin's dorm, she came across a familiar face. She tried not to make eye contact, not wanting to attract unwanted attention, but unfortunately for her, he spoke up first.

"You cold there, Frostbite?" Vernon asked her with a smug smile.

She stopped to acknowledge him, just to be polite, "I'm okay," she lied, even though her entire body was shivering.

"I tell you what," Vernon said, "I'll let you burrow a coat if you give me three kisses on the cheek."

Jin didn't like how upfront he was. She smiled to acknowledge the "joke" (at least, she thought it was a joke), and replied: "I'm good, but thanks."

"Fine, I'll take one kiss. Come on, it's a good bargain," he replied with a cocky smile.

Good god, he's such so obnoxious, thought Jin, starting to realize he was serious after all. But he's cute.

Vernon's face suddenly turned into one of recognition: "wait!" he said, pointing at her: "you're that cute girl's best friend right?"

Jin's face dropped instantly. This guy was in her class and he still knows her as "the cute girl's best friend." She would always be secondary to Sena. Always.

"I have to go," Jin told him, and turned away and walked as quickly as she could. He called her back, but she didn't look back.

It was kind of a blow to her that he only recognized in relation to Sena. It put her in a bad mood, because she realized that it wasn't really just him. It was everyone. Sena was the popular, pretty one. Jin was the quiet best friend of the popular pretty one. The only reason Seokmin was even wanting to hang out with her right now was because he wanted to date Sena.

Jin started to wish she hadn't gone to the same college as Sena after all.

She arrived at the dorm room building and was relieved to finally get out of the cold. After getting the room number from the security; she arrived at his room and knocked on his door.