Chapter 16: Confessions, Requests and Apologies

Seokmin had called and texted at least 50 times. Jin ignored it all. She only glanced at his texts, and he seemed extremely apologetic and upset over what happened. Jin had considered answering him or replying to him sometimes, just to put him out of his misery, but she remained stout in her decision to just wait it out. She just did not want to deal with him now.

She distracted herself from the hurt by studying and putting her phone on silent. She needed to get all A's so that she is considered for a scholarship. She made that her motivation and she studied and studied.

Jin knew she would have to face him eventually, and that she would forgive him. She could not hold a grudge against a person who apologizes for long, no matter how badly she was wronged. She would have to face him when she goes to college tomorrow.

She didn't dread it the way she had dreaded facing Vernon. She was not afraid of Seokmin, and she knew that he was sorry for what he did. She just did not want to talk to him now, because it gave her too much to think about. Studies were here priority after all.

The following day, she went to the library in the morning like she usually did and located Wonwoo in the corner, embracing the spectacle of Mingyu. She avoided Mingyu's gaze as she went towards Wonwoo.

"Hey," said Wonwoo, "what's up?"

"I need to tell you something," Jin said. She needed to let Wonwoo know about what happened with her and Mingyu, and about the very subtle possibility (Jin didn't really believe it, but it was still an obscure possibility) that Mingyu liked her.

"What?"

"Mingyu asked me to go with him to a restaurant," she told Wonwoo apologetically. She studied his facial expression. If he was in any way saddened by it, then he was good at hiding that.

"Cool," Wonwoo said, "like on a date?"

"I don't think so. He said it was because he wanted me to tell him about Arab cuisine..."

Wonwoo laughed: "Jin, have you ever been asked out?"

Jin shook her head. She has never been asked out ever. In Jordan, people did not ask people out, and so far in Korea, she was too aloof to be asked out. Plus she was not pretty nor cool, and everyone around her only ever pays attention to Sena.

"He was asking you out," Wonwoo affirmed. He didn't look irked by it at all. On the contrary, he seemed amused at Jin not realizing it.

"How do you know?"

"That's the way guys do it," Wonwoo said, "no guy will come up to you and be like: yo let's date."

Jin shook her head. She refused to believe it; what could Mingyu possibly see in her. Mingyu had seen her at her worst: crying hysterically in library wearing pajamas. Plus she was not pretty by any standard, and she did not exude of attractive confidence like Mingyu did. How could someone as majestic as Mingyu ever want to go out with her.

"So, did you say yes?"

"Of course not."

"Why not?" Wonwoo asked, as if he did not know.

"Because you..."

"Don't refuse him only because of me. I already came to terms with the fact I can never have him. If I could choose any girl on campus to date him, I would choose you. If you like him, than please go for it. I would actually prefer it to him going for some other random girl..."

Jin frowned and shook her head, "I couldn't."

"Don't say that. If you like him, then go for it..."