Chapter 42: The Wave Is In Sight

Start from the beginning

   Zero pushed a bit of his hair back, “I’m advised to shoot anything Vampire which moves.” He snickered pulling out his bloody rose.

   “Bull.” Asuna said shaking her head.

   He raised an eyebrow.

   “OK so this is it then…” I mumbled standing up once all the students were gone.

   Yuuki nodded slowly, “This is it… they’ll be coming through the front entrance with an army most likely.”

   I stepped over the bushes we were hiding behind and I glanced back at my friends. Their facial expression I could never forget: fear, hatred and dread. They were scared and so was I. I didn’t want to go through this as much as the next person.

   “I want to go to the gate and see them coming.” I said.

   Yuuki stood up quickly, “No you can’t! They’ll attack you first!” She cried.

   “Yuuki this may be my father we’re talking about. I need to see him and his army. I need to see the man who ruined my life and hurt my mother. I need to face him and confront him. I must do this, with or without you.” I replied hastily as I began walking toward the gates. Yuuki jumped over the bushes after me.

   “With.” Spoke the voice of Kurando. I turned to see him and all the night class students walking over to us. “You’re not going over there alone, I’m going with you.”

   I smiled at him and noticed Shiki at the back. He nodded at me seriously and I did the same. It’s time… I thought.

   “Yuuki, stay with us while these two go on ahead.” Kaname said walking ahead of everyone. “As Miss Yamazaki said, she just wants to see them; the she’ll come running back.”

   Kaname turned to face me, “Yeah.” I replied. He knows me too well that Kuran.

   Yuuki nodded and the other two followed her. Asuna was given a Medical kit to help with the injuries. She glanced at me with a sad face. I did the same.

Strange time to bring in an army, I thought to myself as it was around 2 in the afternoon. Kurando was walking beside me and once we reached the front gates, we saw a line of slowly moving people coming towards the school. They were about 50 kilometres away and I still felt uneven standing this close. The sight was terrifying and looking away was very hard. I wanted to just run into the woods and never come out but this school needed me.

   “You’re scared, I can sense it.” Kurando murmured.

   I nodded, “Yeah, aren’t you?”

   He shook his head, “No, I won’t be fighting.”

   I caught his eyes quizzically, “What do you mean by that?”

   He stared at me for a few moments until it finally came to me.

   “Are you even allowed to do that?” I asked feeling goose-bumps form on my skin from head to my toes.

   “Probably not but it gives us a better chance. He’s seen what I’ve been through and he’ll fight no matter what. The Level E’s will attack him on order so he’ll have to defend himself. Plus he’ll do what you say, I’ve dreamt about him and you. He finds you intriguing.” Kurando explained. “The beast must come out again and the time is now. I’m sorry but I have little choice.”

   “I completely understand. Go ahead, the time is now.” I repeated his words with a grin which was forced. How could anyone bare a smile at a time like this?

   Kurando moved his arms out to his sides and I walked away to give him space to transform. Those pitch black eyes, large sharp claws, black, torn wings; I could never forget that horrid day.

   I ran behind a tree in fear of seeing him transform. The last I saw of him for a few moments was him covering his face like he did last time he transformed. I was shaking and afraid to even turn to look at him. Will that thing be really creepy like it was last time? Would I have to defend myself against it?

   I leant against a tree and looked up at the blue sky. At least we’ll be able to see everything which is happening instead of it being at night. I closed my eyes a began to think for a moment. My future… would I even have one and if so will Shiki be in it?

   I heard a gush of wind and span around to see Kurando standing there looking out of the gate—but it wasn’t Kurando. It was the beast taken over his body. His wings, claws and eyes were all shown.

   “Hey…” I muttered walking toward him. He turned and gave me a smile.

   “Hello again precious.” He replied and turned to the gate, “This looks like a fun afternoon. I’ll help you. It’s now time to play.” He began to cackle and then teleported right in front of myself. I jumped back surprised and stared into his pitch black eyes. “Are you ready gorgeous?” He said licking his lips.

   I nodded, “Let’s do this.”

I could now hear the footsteps of the army coming toward the gates. Their slight breathing was also noticeable. I was prepared now but also afraid. So very afraid.

   Both me and Kurando were running back to where the others were, awaiting the break-in into the Academy’s grounds. Kaname noticed us both and looked unpleased with Kurando.

   “We can trust him don’t worry.” I said ringing my arm with Kurando. He looked as though he liked that.

   Kaname just stared at me for a moment. “I trust him.” Yuuki said pushing past Kaname, “As long as Yuna does.”

   I smiled at her, thanks Yuuki, I thought.

   “How far away are they?” Kaname asked.

   “About 20 kilometres or so, they’re pretty close now. I hope you’re all ready for this excitement.” Kurando chuckled and grinned wickedly at everyone.

   Everyone shot him crazed looks and he burst into laughter. “You guys are hilarious!” He called pointing.

   “Kurando…” I mumbled tugging his uniform. He turned to me.

   “Oh OK fine. Disaster is coming, the Dark wave is at our feet… are you all ready?” He asked and spread his wings out wide. Shiki came to stand next to me and I nodded. Yes.