Chapter 8: The Devil's Emotion

Start from the beginning

"ISAIS, WHERE ARE YOU?" I shouted, my heart beat increasing. I stopped and look back. I'm already far from the tree. I battled with my thoughts if I should go back and wait for him, but I decided against it. The path seems endless.

"ISAIAS, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!" I yelled, gritting my teeth vehemently, ignoring the fact that there could be wild animals prowling behind the thick grasses. All the fibers in my body stood up in attention, nudging me to run back to the tree and wait for him but my legs decided against it.

I followed the trail, ignoring the fear slowly growing in my chest. I battled with my thoughts again, and then my curiosity won over.

A thought crosses my head.

Maybe he wants to get rid of me, and this is his plan.

I'm starting to hyperventilate. I have no idea where exactly am I. I don't know about this place, yes, it is beautiful, breathtaking, but it could be dangerous, too.

God, please help me. I don't want to die yet. I prayed inwardly.

My eyes starting to sting from holding the tears back.

A tap on my shoulder, had me screaming at the top of my lungs as I squeeze my eyes shut, all the while panting with fear. "Hey, hey," Isaias worried voice made me stop, and I snapped my moist eyes open, and there I met his hypnotic eyes.

He had this worried look, but I was more than occupied with the fact that he scared the shit out of me. "You scared me!" I hissed and he gave me an apologetic look.

I felt the tears starting to roll down my cheeks as I can't suppress my emotions anymore. I thought I'm going to die. My heart felt like it's going to burst from pounding loudly.

He pulled me into his arms and I nuzzled myself against his hard body. It felt comforting with his strong arms around me. "Shhh ... I'm sorry," he apologizes, his voice was soothing. I totally forgot that this man who was comforting me was the merciless mobster's assassin. "I shouldn't leave you, I wasn't thinking," he mumbled regretfully and I tried to stop the tears.

I peeled myself off his hold and stared at his eyes.

Are my eyes deceiving me?

His cold, dead eyes finally showing some emotions. I don't know if I'm seeing it right, but those dead orbs have now life, filled with spirit. It looks glowing or was it just me?

"I found a creek bed with trees surrounding it. I have no idea where it ends, but it looks perfect for our picnic. I'll bring you to the place I have in mind next time. Maybe we could ride a horse, si?" he uttered and I nodded.

A picnic? Did he really plan for this?

Did he knock his head? What's gotten into him to become so sweet?

I can't believe he planned for a picnic. My heart was overwhelmed with happiness.

.

.

I watch Isaias with a wide smile. He was so fixed on setting up the food he brought with him. The large picnic blanket was spread out on the grass under the old cork oak. I could hear the water flowing, the chirping of the birds, and it feels relaxing.

"Here," Isaias handed me a plastic plate filled with food. Fresh grapes, and a Chicken Caesar sandwich. "I hope you like it. It's the easiest food to prepare," he said. I took the plate as I thank him. I took one grape then pop it in my mouth.

I stared at him as he sat across me. He was staring at the creek all the while eating his sandwich. Each day, my curiosity of him grow bigger.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked before I could hold my tongue back. He turned to me, and I shifted on my seat.