Chapter 5: Surprise

Start from the beginning

Carmine?

My heart suddenly starts beating fast.

It can't be!

He is dead.

I quickly sat up and unscrewed the silencer, then I stuffed it in the bag. My mind still reeling on Carmine Castellano.

Taking the screwdriver out of the bag, I started disassembling the rifle and stuffed it back in the black bag.

My eyes scanned around and it seems, it is still dead from where I am. A faint sound of scream reaches my ears and I smirked. I quickly left the place and headed to the next road, heading back to where I parked my old 1978 Mercedes to an old, barren shack in the middle of an abandoned farm, near the ruined barn.

As soon as I reached my gray classic car, I quickly opened the rear door and pulled up the rag, then pulled the metal up, and threw in the bag inside, then closes it, concealing it with the rag. It was specifically made by my friend where to hide my stuff.

I'm sure, I'm going to meet some cops on my way back to the hotel.

And as soon as I'm back to the main road, I saw the checkpoint. A car was being inspected by two policemen. I pulled closer when the first car left, the tall well built old guy raised his hand to stop me which I did.

He rounded the car and stop beside the driver seat. I rolled down the window.

"Good day, officer." I greeted and he nodded. His scruffy, bushy eyebrows knitted together as he looks at me, hard.

"I'm sorry, sir for the inconvenience, but we need to check your car and to get some information from you," the officer asked. He scratches his bald head for a second as he watches me keenly.

"No problem, officer," I nodded and he motioned me to get out of my car. I did as I was told and the other officer, a younger one, started checking the trunk of my car and inside, all the while I answered every question the old officer ask me.

"Where are you from?" he asked as he scans my passport.

"Old Sicily, sir," I responded casually. He nodded as he read my name in my passport. "Sandro Maggiore ... 28 years old ..." he read softly.

"What brought you here?" he asked, his eyes staring at me without blinking.

"Just visiting some old friend, sir," I responded quickly as I casually met his eyes.

He nodded as he handed me back my passport. "Where is this friend of yours lived?"

"La Saove, officer," I answered. He nodded again, and then frustratedly look at his company.

La Saove is the next town to Seguismonda in the countryside.

The younger officer walks towards us. "La negativa," (Negative) he briefly said, and the older officer nodded yet again, his face is grim. The older officer gave me a nod as he apologizes.

"You may go, sir," he politely said, and I nodded, then quickly slid into the driver's seat and sped.

......

Angel's POV

"Where are you?" came Tristan's frantic voice as soon as he recognized my voice.

"Ah, Er ... Um ..." biting my tongue at the lost of words, I stared out of the Telephone booth's transparent wall.

The rundown street looks dead, only a few old faces that give me an eerie stare as they passed by the old telephone booth where I was standing.