Chapter 52

Jason's pov

Today is Kelsea's first birthday. I was feeding all four kids breakfast while Sierra worked on the cake. "I think I got this parenting thing down, Sierra." She smiles. "We sure do, Jay." The older kids get on the bus. "We still gotta get balloons and a banner so I'll run to the store for that stuff." "I'll stay here with the little rascal." I say wiping her off. She yawns. "I might get her back to sleep." We kiss goodbye and she goes to the store. I take Kelsea to the living room and give her some toys to play with. Then I sit on the couch and turn on the bulldogs game. We're two points ahead in the second quarter. "Come on, keep that score." I whisper, staring at the screen. Suddenly Kelsea's little head pops up in front of the TV, staring at it. "Baby, daddy's trying to watch- Whoa! Kelsea you're standing on your own!" She turns around, grabbing the coffee table to keep from falling. "Oh Kelsea, you're such a big girl." I bend down on my knees and she lets go of the table, a determined look on her face. "You can do it, little girl." She stumbles over and falls into my arms. "Oh sweetie! I'm so proud of you. Daddy's little overachiever!" She giggles and I hug her tight. "That deserves a treat. Who wants some cheetos?" She claps her hands excitedly.

Sierra's pov

I get home and Kelsea is in her highchair covered in Cheeto dust. I laugh and grab a wipe. I clean her up as Jason comes downstairs with a wet washcloth. He stops short surprised. "Oh hey SiSi." I smile at the age old nickname. "Oh Kelsea was walking on her own today." My eyes go wide. "I missed her first steps!" "I have it recorded on my phone for you." "Thanks." I hand him the balloons and I put the banner up as he blows balloons up. "Man, blowing up balloons always leaves me lightheaded." He says tying the last one off. I bust out laughing. "What's so funny?" "You were supposed to use the helium, you goof!" His eyes go wide. "Wait! I just did that for nothing!?" I nod and cover my mouth to try to stop laughing. He fixes the balloons with helium instead. Then the kids get home. I glance at my watch. "3, 2, 1." Jason says, counting down then pointing at the door. Not a second later, it opens to reveal my sister and Luke. Kelly dashing in in front of them. "Right on time." Jason whispers to me, smiling. His hands rest on his hips. "Uncle Jay!" Kelly cries, running to him. He picks her up. "How's my favorite niece?" He asks. She laughs. "I'm your only niece." "Then the question should be pretty easy now shouldn't it?" We go outside for the party and Jason gets the kids set up with kid's games and food. My sister hugs me. "That little girl is getting bigger." She says. "What are you gonna do if her real mom shows up?" Luke asks, a hand to his chin. I glare at him. "I am her real mom, jackass!" I growl angrily. "Now Sierra he didn't mean-" "I don't like you Luke." He sighs. "I've tried everything to make it up. Why do you still hate me?!"

Jason's pov

"Cause you're a cheating piece of shit and my sister is an idiot for going back to your ass!" Oh crud. I run over. "Baby calm down." I say, grabbing her shoulders. "No. It's about time someone told this douche off. I've held my tongue for a long time but not anymore!" I bite my lip worried and glance back at the kids gathered at the picnic table. Ben is the only one who noticed. "Sweetheart, not now. Not at Kelsea's party." I can tell she's fighting herself. "Fine for Kelsea not for him!" She stomps off, fuming. "Thanks man." "Don't thank me yet. Her going off is still coming. I can't stop her every time." "Man, I don't know what else I possibly could do!" I sigh. "There's nothing you can do." "Maybe I could try talking to her." Miranda says. "I don't know. She's pretty pissed right now." Luke says, looking worried. "Luke she's my sister! Good god, if anything she'd hurt you before me!" She snaps. That guy is an idiot! "I'll talk to her." I say, trying to stop a fight.

Sierra's pov

Tears rolled down my cheeks. Why did I call my sister stupid? She's not stupid. I just wish she'd leave him. "SiSi?" I turn around. Jason. I run into his arms, crying my eyes out. "Si, you gotta let them be." "I can't! I don't want my sister to get hurt anymore. She's already been through so much, dealing with me being sick and then him being a douche!" He pulls my chin up. "Sweetheart, you know I love that girl like a sister. And if I didn't 100% believe Luke is serious, I wouldn't let him near her." I sigh. "I'm worried Jay." "Don't be baby. If something happens to her again, I'll kill him myself." My eyes go wide. "For serious?" I ask. He smiles. I know that means yes. "I love you, Jason." I say, hugging him. "I love you too SiSi." He kisses me gently and holds my hand as we walk back to the party. "Hey I'm getting pretty good at this whole spousing thing too." I laugh. "Smooth Jason, real smooth." He smirks. "Yep just call me The Asphalt Cowboy." He says, pulling his hat down low. I roll my eyes. "Whatever, you weirdo."