Chapter 42

Jason's pov

"Should I call Miranda?" "No we can handle this. No need to ruin her honeymoon. We'll tell them when they get home. Call Luke though and tell him to meet me there. He is her dad after all." She nods and dials his number. I hug Kelly to my chest as I carry her to my truck. "Shh shh it's gonna be okay. Uncle Jay's gonna take care of ya." I strap her in her car seat then grab the jar so they can identify if it's the right spider. "You little bastard as soon as the doctor is done, I'm squishin' ya." I grumble, glaring angrily at the jar. Poor Kelly is still screaming in the back. I get to the hospital and go to the ER. "My niece was bit by a spider. And she's been crying since." "Do you know what kind?" She asks, walking around the counter. "I'm not sure. I think a brown recluse but I don't know.

Luke's pov

I get to the hospital as Jason walks in carrying a jar. "Is Kelly okay?" I ask worried. "The doctor's figuring it out." He says, looking worried. Oh man my poor baby.

Jason's pov

He runs passed me yelling, "Don't worry baby daddy's comin'!" I run after him and show him to her room. "Does Miranda know?" I shake my head and give the nurse the jar. He pulls out his phone but I put a hand on it. "We're not gonna ruin her honeymoon Luke. We'll tell her when she gets home." He sighs and stares at Kelly worriedly. At least she's stopped crying. Now she's looking around the room curious. I give her a toy I brought from home to keep her occupied. "Thanks for callin' me." Luke says. "Of course man, you're her dad." "If it happened while Miranda was watching her, she wouldn't have even called me. She considers Alan her dad." "No she doesn't man." "Yes she does. I just can't stand it!" "Hey look it doesn't matter what she thinks. What matters is that little girl is gonna love her daddy and that's you." He smiles and pats her head. The nurse walked in and said, "It's a brown recluse. We'll give her some anti venom and she should be just fine." "Thanks ma'am." Luke says. He holds her in his lap as the doctor injects her with the medicine. Poor girl starts to cry again after the shot. Luke consoles her and I call Sierra and tell her everything is okay. I smile and watch Luke sing to her til she calms down and falls asleep. "Hey Luke ya wanna take her home tonight?" His eyes go wide. "I can? What about-" "I won't tell." "You're the best, Jay."

*later*

"Where's Kelly?" Sierra asks. "With Luke." Her eyes go wide. "Ooh Miranda's gonna be pissed when she finds out." I shrug. "She'll be pissed period finding out her baby got bit by a damn spider. I'm pissed about that!" She smiles and grabs my hand. "Let's go back to bed." I nod and yawn. "I'm exhausted."

*the next day*

Ben's got a game tonight. Anna looks confused when she comes downstairs. "Where's the baby?" The five year old asks. "With her daddy." I say, sipping a cup of coffee. "I'm going to practice for tonight." Ben says, with his bat and ball in hand. I smile. Takes after his old man. "Knock 'em dead champ." His team bus picks him up today. Thomas runs over. "Can we go play baseball in the backyard? I wanna be as good as Ben when I start baseball." I stand up. "Let's go." I glance at Anna and she looks sad. "I can't play." My eyes go wide. "Yes you can. Just cause you're a girl doesn't mean ya can't play baseball!" She looks away. "I can't play cause of my missing arm!" "Oh nonsense, girl, come on." We all go to the backyard, Sierra stands on the back porch. I give Anna the ball and tell Thomas where to stand. I get my glove and crouch down behind him. "Ok girl throw it." I call. "You think I can do it?" "I know ya can." I stand back up and in a fake announcer voice I say, "And number five, Anna Aldean, winds up for the pitch. Bases are loaded. It all comes down to this." She giggles. I crouch again. She tosses the ball. Thomas misses and I catch it. "Strike one!" Anna cries excited. Thomas smiles back at me. He missed it on purpose. "You're gonna make a great dad one day son." I whisper, smiling. I toss it back to Anna and she chases after it. "Ok now up to bat number six, best t-baller in all of Georgia. Never struck out! Can he take the heat?" I say in my announcer voice. Both kids laugh. I smile and Anna throws it then Thomas hits it. He runs imaginary bases as Anna runs after the ball. "And the crowd goes wild!" He yells excitedly. I laugh and glance behind me where Anna is... Or was?! Where's Anna?! "Anna!?" I call. "I got the ball daddy!" She says, coming out of the bushes. She scared me for a minute there. I smile, resting my hands on my hips. I help hold the bat for Anna and she hits the ball Thomas tosses. "Ok you sweaty ball players who wants some lunch before we watch Ben play?" Sierra asks smiling. "We do!" Anna cries. They run inside. I walk to my wonderful wife. "I love ya girl." "Love you too Jay."