Smiling Rhino Theatre- Radio Broadway

I push open the glass doors leading into Smiling Rhino Theatre. I see bunches of kids, kids standing alone and kids talking with their parents. Some look nervous, some look confident, one just simply looks hyper. I know how the nervous ones feel. I have butterflies in my stomach and Popular from Wicked in my head. "Ok one more time." I whisper to my mom and start to say my monologue. I'm talking too fast and I tumble over my words. My mom grabs a sheet and starts filling it out while I mumble my monologue under my breath. I have to get this perfect.  

I see Carmela pop her head out of a door on the other side of the room and call number 30. I look at the sheet. I'm number 35. God I'm so nervous. My mom takes a seat on one of the couches in the lobby and pats the seat for me to join her. I sit, still going over my monologue. 

"Sam. Enough. You know it honey. Stop stressing and save your voice." My mom reassures.  

"Number 31!"  

"Four more Mom! Only four! I'm so nervous." I squeak. Literally squeak. 

"Really honey? I couldn't tell." My mom jokes. "Seriously, you'll do great." 

I sit in anticipation and wait. When Carmela calls number 34 I get up and start to try to loosen up but my mom pulls me back down and hands me the sheets, and wishes me good luck. Perfect timing too. 

"Number 35!"  

I gulp and slowly stand up. Carmela flashes me a big smile before disappearing behind the door. 

I walk into the room and see the five directors sitting on the couch with Carmela. Hayley and Teresa, whom I met when I came to the theatre on a field trip earlier in the year, and Ms. Opiela, my drama teacher and the reason that I am here to audition. Ms. O gives me a big smile and takes my photo and sheet. Her smile widens when I begin to say my monologue. It is the one the she had assigned to me for class. I manage to get through it almost perfectly, only messing up on one sentence. 

"Have you prepared something to sing for us?" Carmela asks and I nod. 

"Whenever I see someone, less fortunate than I, and let's face it, who isn't, less fortunate than I?" My voice wavers and I clam up.  

"You're doing great honey. Can you continue?" Carmela asks in a sweet voice. I nod again and start over. This time, I nail it and I thank them and leave when I am dismissed. Now, I just get to wait anxiously to find out if I made it into Radio Broadway.

A/N 

This is the true story of what happened at my first auditioned Smiling Rhino Theatre. I ended up getting into the show and I made a lot of friends. :) *cough cough Alicia cough* I have another audition there on Tuesday (I'm singing Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid) so I'll cross my fingers and hope it goes better than my first one. 

-Eryn