| 24 |

I was in my cell, luckily it was downstairs which meant I didn't have to go up and down the stairs as often considering we didn't do anything here but focus on trying to get better.

So far five people turned over night since I came in. I didn't want to be here, I felt so useless here, sitting on my ass all day doing nothing. My fever had gone up, for what felt like ten times worse.

Good news, Glenn was in here now. Bad news, he was here because he was sick. So now two were down from the council staff. I wanted to be out there, helping out trying to get these people better. Instead, I was one of those people trying.

My head snapped at the sound of the main door opening. I stood up slowly and began walking out of my cell. I looked from the corner, watching as new people came in. Lots of them from cell block D, pretty much the ones that got exposed towards the sickness.

Carol was holding out the door for them as she had a mask covering her nose and her jaw from getting even more exposed. She waved her hand and then called me over, I did walking quickly in desperation of someone new to talk to. It had only been the night since I got here but boy was it a long night. I was barely able to stop coughing let alone be able to sleep. From the windows we have here, it looked pretty sunny already.

"How you and Glenn holding up?" She asked through the mask. "Not the best but also not the worst considering we are still here" I said followed by coughs.

"Rick said to wait for him by the cell with the window so he can see you." She smiled. I nodded quickly as I excused myself to wait for him there. I was so happy to see him. I needed to tell him something. It was so important but I was sure to leave it for the end.

I sat down on the rusty old looking chair. I rushed my inner elbow towards my mouth as I began coughing. I closed my eyes slowly waiting for the arrival of Rick.

Soon I heard a door open from further away. I shot my head up as I saw him appear, he looked tired. I gave him a faint smile. I placed my hand slowly over to window as he came closer towards it.

"Hey" His muscular voice almost echoed throughout the rooms. "Hey, how's everything out there?" I asked.

He stayed quiet for a couple of seconds before replying, "Good, good. Seems like everything fine. I just wanted to see you before I left." I furrowed my eyes in confusion.

"You're leaving? Where are you going?" I questioned as I began coughing, my eyes almost shutting from the fever.

"Yea, I'm just going on a small run with Carol, not looking for anything big just, looking around for anything really." He chimed. I nodded quickly understanding.

"How are you? Everything okay in there?" He asked quickly, changing the subject. "I'm really trying here. I feel dead." I scoffed quickly, " I must look dead." I laughed as I coughed once more trying not to force myself.

He laughed quietly with me. "You look great, you should look like that more often" He smirked, I smiled at him, feeling my cheeks begin to burn a slight tint of red.

"Anyway, I should probably go, Carol's probably waiting for me. Take care okay and stay safe." He reminded me. "Rick, one more thing. I have to tell you something. It's important and so, I don't really know how to say this because I just don't usually do this but--" I was interrupted as Carol walked in, sticking her head out of the doorway, "Hey, Rick I've got the car running, best not to waste so much gas if we're going somewhere far." She smiled at us.

"Tell me when we get back okay?" He said as he began walking towards the door as he looked over to me. I nodded slowly. He shut the door behind him.

"It's not like I have a choice." I muttered underneath my breath. I slouched on the chair. I really needed and wanted to tell him this and doing it wasn't easy but I cant blame him because he didn't know what it was about. It's fine I can tell him when he comes back.

I stayed there seated for maybe thirty minutes. Too tired to even stand up, once I did, I headed out the door of the cell. I looked around and saw a familiar face. Hershel.

"Hershel." I said faintly. He looked back at me, in which he began rushing over to me. My head was spinning like crazy, causing my eyes to look around in every direction. I held onto the pole that was near. Sadly for me, I was too weak to even hold onto it which caused me to fall on the ground, causing me to faint.

*

I awoke as I quickly placed my hand over my head, it felt as if I had a hang over. I tried recapping what had happened. Once I did I stood up and looked around. I was in my cell, a needle sticking inside my arm that hooked into a IV fluid bag.

I slid the needle out slowly as I stood up from the ground and began walking out. It was quiet. I looked up towards the stairs and noticed Glenn sitting on the ground breathing heavily.

I walked up the steps slowly, trying not to push myself any more. I slid down the wall and sat next to him, extending my legs out in front of me just like he had. He looked at me and smiled softly. His eyes looked of tiredness and sick. Very, very sick.

"Maggie wanted to see me but I knew if she saw how I looked, she would want to come in here." He spoke first. I looked at him and nodded, "She worries, Rick did too. He was the first to see I was sick and he wanted to bring me here but I just couldn't have him risk himself that way." I said.

"Do you think we'll make it?" I asked quickly. "If Daryl gets back soon, we might." He said as he began coughing loudly.

"Why when Daryl get back?" I asked in confusion. "Because he took a group out to a veterinarian college, Hershel said that the medicine from there is the same ones we need to help us." He replied between breaths.

I looked forward. "Really? How long was I out?" I began asking quickly in search for answer through his facial expressions.

"A couple hours. You pushed yourself too much which caused you to faint." He explained. I nodded quickly. That must've meant Rick was back but I had no idea how I was supposed to call for him.

I began coughing loudly followed by Glenn coughing relentlessly as well. Hershel walked up the stairs, a small metal cup in his hands. "Drink this, both of you" He commanded. I looked as he passed the cup to Glenn in confusion.

"Elderberries, my wife used to use them as--" I interrupted him as I knew exactly what it was. "Natural flu remedy." I smirked at myself. How smart of him.

I drank the liquid letting it slide down quickly.

It was dark out, it was noticeable by the windows. I just hoped I could go to bed so that I could finally speak to Rick.

I walked over to my cell and softly plopped myself down on the cot. Hershel had closed my cell door for safety purposes of course. We all had to take precaution of everything nowadays.

I stared at the ceiling. It was a different view due to the fact that I used to stare at the bottim of the top bunk bed, but since this was death row and people in prison that are in death row don't have roomates, this was a different view.

I slowly began closing my eyes. Finally I was dragged into deep painful yet peaceful sleep.