Chapter Forty- Seven

Updates with be every Thursday starting next week!

*Not edited*

Riley's POV

"I ordered you a cup of coffee." Harry points to the cup in front of me as I slide into my chair, sending him a smile.

"Thank you." I bring the cup up to my lips to take a small sip before focusing my full attention on him. "Why did you invite me out for coffee?" I ask, addressing the elephant in the room. I can't remember the last time Harry called me out for coffee, it was rare even when we were still together for him to just call out of the blue to do something that seems so impersonal.

I expect it to be somewhat awkward between us due to what happened yesterday at my apartment. I was confused when he just left without saying anything more, and I was almost convinced that he had given up after our conversation. It was un-expectant of him to walk out and leave me with the final word. But, like usual, he hadn't given up after all. He called me this morning and insisted I meet him a few blocks over at a coffeehouse and he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Because I need to tell you something," he simply replies, shrugging his shoulders.

"What's that?" I fold my hands on the table, bracing myself for whatever it is he has to say. What could he possibly need to tell me over a cup of coffee?

He hesitates for a second before he takes a deep breath and says, "I quit on Andrew last week."

My eyes widen and my mouth drops. He actually did it? My head begins to spin as I let his words sink in. I can't believe he actually followed through with his words and walked out on Andrew and the rest of them. I really wanted him to, more than anything, but I didn't really think he would be able to.

"You did?" I almost whisper, looking down at my hands.

"Yes, baby. I did it for you. I knew that you didn't think I'd be able to get out of this, and I wanted so desperately to. I figured that once I was really out you'd give up the fight." He grabs my hands, folding his own over them. I dart my gaze up to look at him, holding eye contact as I take in his hopeful look.

I try to understand what he just said, but I struggle. He told me that if he were to quit Andrew was going to do something to get back at him, yet he thinks that I'll give up the fight? I have told him over and over again that being around him will only make the backlash of this worse.

"Harry, I don't even know what to say to you," I admit. His face falls slightly. I am happy that he did this for himself, I am, but giving in after this will only make the situation worse. Besides, this doesn't change the fact that he lied and his all of this from me in the first place.

"I want you to tell me that you're ready to come back to me," he admits, casting his gaze down at the table momentarily.

"Harry.." I sigh out of hesitation. "Getting back together would be a foolish thing to do after what you've just done," I remind him. He shakes his head at me and clenches his jaw quickly before unclenching it again.

"Riley, please just listen to me, alright?" He pleads, his eyes boring through mine. "Alright?" He asks again after I fail to answer him, this time a little louder.

"Okay," I respond quietly.

"You're right, and I know that. Andrew will try to get revenge eventually, there's no doubt about it, but I made it very clear to him that if he so much as even thinks of touching you, he'll go down for it, hard. He takes me more seriously than he's willing to admit, Riley, and he knows that I know that. He knows I'm just as capable of unimaginable things as he is, so I know that he won't come around, not for awhile anyway. And I'm positive that he won't try anything on you himself." He stops to take in my reaction to what he just said. I process it all before I reply.