Chapter One: Bella's POV

Börja om från början

-

The story of my twin sister, Hermione Jane Granger, is complicated, and on so many levels. Renée came to Forks when she was eighteen- Charlie was twenty-three at the time. Renée had spent the first eighteen years of her life living all over the states, her father's job taking them to all sorts of places. After his death Renée's mom, who had been born in Forks, moved them both back there. Renée resented the move to a boring small town, and had acted out- her relationship with Charlie had been to punish her mom, except she'd accidentally gotten pregnant.

Charlie, doing what pretty much any small-town, born and raised young man would do, proposed, and Renée, for whatever reason, accepted. They were married within the month, and Charlie was honestly smitten with her. Thing was, Renée got cold feet. Seven months into the pregnancy, six months after her marriage, she organized an adoption. Thing is, she was only expecting one daughter. When two of us were born, Renée took it as a sign that she was meant to have a daughter, and while Swan Baby One became Hermione Granger, Swan Baby Two stayed a Swan- Isabella Swan. Me.

Charlie, who had been training at the police academy up in Seattle, wasn't aware of the adoption, or of Hermione's existence. Before I'd even turned two, Renée had skipped town, taking me with her and leaving Charlie behind.

I didn't know I had a sister until I was eight, and Hermione tracked us down. She wanted to meet her biological parents and twin sister, and the Grangers could afford flying over to America to visit us.

Hermione and I weren't identical (for example, where I got Renée's straight hair, Hermione got Charlie's wild, frizzy curls that he kept cut short to control them) but we were very clearly sisters. I loved her the second I saw her, and from that moment forward, we saw each other whenever we could. Being separated by an ocean barely hindered us- we wrote to each other daily and Hermione's adopted-parents were happy to fly their daughter down over the holidays so we could spend them together. They even started paying for me to join them when they went on holidays.

Despite this, despite their willingness to allow Hermione and I to spend time together, I had never liked the Grangers. They were generous with their money, easily funding Hermione's constant trips to America, but they had only ever accompanied her the first time, and from what I could tell they weren't exactly huge parts of their adopted-daughter's life. Dr. Helen Granger was a somewhat mousy brunette with thin hair and curls which came from a salon. Dr. Richard Granger was a sandy blonde with pin straight hair. They were both workaholics, and never seemed to have much time for Hermione.

Hermione was warm, caring, and sweet. Sure, she was a bit naggy, and she had the tendency to be a little bossy, but her every action was always laced with worry and care for others, rather than the need to show herself superior.

Charlie adored her. I knew he would be overjoyed when he learnt she was safe- he loved Hermione, and was furious with Renée for not telling him about her.

It was because of Hermione I'd ended up spending so much of my summer holidays with Charlie, before deciding to move in with him when Renée remarried. Hermione couldn't stand Renée, and I didn't blame her for it. She had given Hermione, my other half, away. Keeping me while discarding her, Renée had no idea what she'd just given up, because Hermione? Hermione was special- and more special then either Charlie or Renée knew.

My twin had magic.

Finding out Hermione was a witch was shocking- at first I could admit I was jealous, but when Hermione wrote about how horribly she was teased for being a muggleborn, about all the times her life had been put in danger, and about this terrorist, mad-man who people were too scared to even say the name of even when they thought he was dead... well, lets just say I became significantly less jealous, while also becoming significantly more worried for my twin.