Black Women Stereotypes

"You wear weave because you don't have real hair."

No she wears weave because she wants to and she thinks it's a cute hairstyle. She wears weave because wearing weave is a protective style on natural hair. And even if "she didn't have hair", that wouldn't matter because she chooses to wear it and your opinion doesn't matter. And this "you don't have real hair" matter is so stupid because in order to have weave you have to have hair. For example, the above picture is me with box braids I got two days ago (7/04). In order to get those braids I neededdddd....HAIR. You cannot be "bald-headed" and get these, unless you have a wig. And even  then, ain't nothing wrong with being bald-headed. But in all learn about the process of getting one before you state stupid remarks like the one said above.

"All y'all black girls got attitude and are always angry. That's why I can't date one."

We all do not got attitudes. We are not always angry. We express our feelings and it comes off to people as if we're the Hulk, but if a white person gets angry and decides to shoot up a place they were mentally ill and needed help. Why can't black women be mentally ill as well? Because of this stereotype, tons of women who are depressed and battling such illnesses keep quiet because if we "go off" on something then we're just angry and shouldn't be so mad at the world. And not only not, we could just be annoyed or frustrated. We also have emotions. We could also be sad, we could be irritated, we could be these things.

"In this world, you must be a strong and independent black woman."

And although this is true because of the world you live in and we will face sexism and racism at the same time, sometimes people take this over the top. This also ties in to us being angry. We are stereotyped as all of us must be strong and must be independent and thus we cannot have emotions and cannot be annoyed or irritated and if we do, then we're angry and have attitudes. We could be strong, we could be independent, and we could cry. You're strong for so long, you're bound to cry because of the obstacles we face. I saw this one lady write that she was being sexually assaulted by her best friend's brother, but because of this independent stereotype she didn't tell anyone. She was scared that this would take away the strong and independence title she earned at birth. She was scared to tell someone because she was scared of what her family would say.

"Someone got daddy issues."

I don't know where this started but it needs to stop. Black people as a whole have been stereotyped to not have a father and it's idiotic. There are people in each race who do not have a father. It's a shame that when a black person says their father is in their life everyone is surprised. Like come on, not every black father is a father who refuses to care for their children, or leaves before the child is born. My father is still in my life and although he's a pain, I'm happy to have him.

"Can't stand them black girls. They so loud and ghetto and ratchet."

God forbid a black girl get excited and immediately are put down as ghetto. I understand that some black girls you come across are gonna be loud and are gonna be "ratchet", but hey Mikey Cyrus did it and she is still loved and accepted. I honestly don't know how to defend this the proper way. It's just wrong to put the blame on all black women, just like white people love to say "NOT ALL WHITE PEOPLE". I'm proud to say I'm ratchet, because ratchet at times means having fun and being ourselves. We cannot have fun without being put down basically.

"All they do is stay on welfare and food stamps."

Honestly what else do you expect when the system we are in practically forces you to stay at the bottom of the pile and when you try to rise up, they stomp you down. There is nothing wrong with welfare, nothing wrong with food stamps. Hell as long as they are feeding their kids and themselves, there is nothing wrong with assistance. Having this doesn't make someone lazy. Some people can work two jobs and still be on food stamps because in this damn country, having one job is barely enough to pay rent and feed yourself, let alone children. *And it's been known that white people use it more than other minorities. 😊*

"I'm not racist, I love black people (girls)!! I have a thing for them."

Not sure if this is a stereotype, but no no no. This statement isn't cool at all. Having "a thing" for a entire race, is having a fetish for them. If you love black girls, that most likely means you love the stereotype. You love their body, you love their cooking, you love their Independence, you love that they have that "sexy attitude". I guess it's okay to like someone based on this things. But to assume EVERY black girl has that is stereotypical. Every black girl is different, we all are not the same. Remember that. 

*doesn't believe when one says they have a mental disorder*

You see a poster about depression or anxiety and how important it is to know about it. I notice it is always white women and men posing for it. Like if I would to say to my mom "I'm depressed", she wouldn't take it seriously and just simply assume "I'm in one of my moods". This ties in with the attitudes, being angry, and being strong. Since black women are angry all the time, the reason for their "depression" and "anxiety" is only because they're not depressed or anxious. They're just mad and have a mood, and they'll get over it. Since we're suppose to be strong, when shown these sides we don't tell anyone because we don't want to seem weak. And it sucks honestly because a lot of black women suffer from illnesses and don't want to tell anyone because no one would believe them, not even their own family. During my middle school year, the pressure of fitting in was beyond, including being called ugly, being laughed at, not being taken seriously when talking about something passionate to me. There were so many thoughts in my head telling me I wasn't worth it, that I was ugly, that no one would like me in life. My self-esteem was at a ultimate low. And I liked to participate in many things in my middle school. No one understood that I had confidence in the work I did when acting, singing, and dancing, but not confidence in myself and who I was as a person. I didn't tell anyone because I knew people wouldn't believe me and think I want attention. Suicidal thoughts crossed my mind and it sucked because I told myself I can't look weak, I must work through it. Towards eighth grade I started writing poems and just writing how I felt, and it worked. I wasn't telling anyone but I was telling something and it felt good to let it out. Since then, my self-esteem is at a good level, but the thoughts of being ugly scarred me as a child and at times gnaws at me every day but I try my hardest to work at it. And no this isn't a pity party, but I felt anyone who needed inspiration could read this and know they could get through with it. And please tell someone !!! I told something, but let people know you're serious with what you feel !!!

Have any more stereotypes??? Comment below 😊