Blacks: We Matter and Are Beautiful

I just finished reading MsFanfictional Struggles of Being A Darkskin and had my dose of Tumblr. So you know this chapter is gonna be real.

During slavery, the slavemaster would rape the female slaves in order for them to have a child and have that child start working for them at the age of 5. This child was of course half white and half black. But did it matter? No of course not. Because the child still had the "blood of a nigger", hence the child was still a slave.

That child could've been so damn light, almost near the color of the father but that child was still a slave.

Why is skin complexion now a competition? A competition you have no control over because at birth you may have already lost. Tell me. Why does it matter?

You being lighter has no significance. You are still black.

You being mixed has no significance. You are still black.

Those are your roots. And in the eyes of the white man, those roots are evil and he would continue to torture and make sure you suffer.

For us to walk in the street, scared that just one wrong step, one wrong look, can trigger a chain of events that end only in death, protests, and pain, doesn't it say something? Isn't it screaming that our voices need to be heard in this uproar of racism and prejudice?

But is it really an uproar? Or was it being heard all around, yet being ignored by those who chose to look away.

Those who chose to ignore the determination of Harriet Tubman. Those who chose to ignore Rosa Parks bravery. Those who chose to ignore Martin Luther King Jr's march in Washington. Those who chose to ignore the ruling of Brown V. Education. Do I really need to go on?

Black Lives Matter

And no I'm not being racist.

See what people confuse, excuse me offended white people, confuse black lives matter with blacks are selfish and only think of themselves and nothing else. But for people who support the movement know this isn't true at all. At this time, in the generation we are living in now, blacks are being targeted at rates similar to the time the Jim Crow laws were made. That means we are technically living in a modern 1920s. And with living in a modern 1920s, blacks aren't cared for and are treated like dirt on the ground and targets at a shooting range. We are stepped on and shot at. But we rise up and show we are better than that. That is why black lives matter. You shoot back with all lives matter but that isn't what we're saying. You are taking it too literally. Everyone as a human being deserves to live and know their life matter. But right now the deaths of innocent black people are at the hands of the people who serve to protect us. Those deaths are rising, and that is why we say black lives matter. And for you to say all lives matter is selfish itself. Here we are trying to let people know of the deaths of innocent black people or the assault of innocent black people and you push it away implying that it doesn't matter. That our country shouldn't focus on that, but as everyone in a whole. But where has that led us? More deaths I see.

Not Just Black Men, But Black Women Too

We think of black people being killed, and automatically Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin pop in our minds. But you rarely hear on the news about black women being wrongfully accused or being assaulted let alone killed under the hands of a white man. It really is a shame. Black women have been put through so much in history, have done legendary things, only a few are heard. We are taught more about Rosa Parks and Harriet Tubman, more than Sojourner Truth and Barbara Jordan. I'm not saying that Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks aren't important. I'm just saying we are told so much of these two wonderful ladies that it is put into our elementary and middle school selves that those are the only two important ladies in black history. The same is going on right now. We are told so much about Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown that we seem to forget about the other black women who have been killed under police custody or shot down by police.

Remember Sandra Bland? The black woman who "committed suicide" in her jail cell? I do. But she was only on the news for a week or so, and then the topic was over. I'm not saying that the deaths of black men aren't important. I'm saying they receive more coverage than the death of a black woman. Raynette Turner? Joyce Curnell? May I remind that these women were charged with petty charges, waiting to be arraigned, and then found dead the next day in their jail cell. Most ruled a suicide which I call complete bullshit.

Black Is Beautiful

I was reading Struggles of Being A Darkskin, I couldn't help but shake my head. Is this really what black women and young girls need to go through? As if we are not looked down any more, but because they are darker they are looked down upon? And it's a shame that it is our very own kind belittling the girls because they are darker, and feel superior because they are lighter. Don't you see you are giving into what the white man wants? Going against each other to prove that we are uncivilized and shouldn't belong.

For those who do this, shame on you. Shame for believing that because you are lighter you are better. Shame for thinking that skin color determines status. Cause lemme tell you something. To the white man, you are still black. And to the black community, you are just as bad as the white man. The competition of lightskins being better, or brownskins being better needs to stop. Why the competition? Why must we always be competing with each other when we should be supporting each other and make ourselves feel happy within ourselves? Lightskin, brownskin, darkskin, you are still beautiful. These are all beautiful shades of color. It's okay to love being your color. You could say I love being brownskin. But to put another shade down and make them feel bad is shameful. There shouldn't be struggles of being a darkskin. There shouldn't be struggles of being you. There should only be love and acceptance.

For my darkskins out there. Y'all are beautiful, and you may think I'm only saying it to say it, I mean it with all my heart. There are times when I wish I was darker, because the way it glows in the sunlight and stands out from the crowd is mesmerizing. My sister is darkskin, and I swear if anyone was to call her ugly for her skin or says she's pretty for a darkskin they would hear my rage. Don't let any boy tell y'all that. Cause if you need me to I'll knock some sense into them, in all seriousness I will. Y'all are pretty. Point blank.

Black is beautiful. Whites wish they could have our sense of style, our culture, our dance, our swag, our hair. They wish they could steal it and make it their own. They wish that they could be original. They wish they could be us. But we won't allow it.

Always remember. We made ourselves. They just nitpicked and called it culture.

----

I'm passionate about things like this. It just irks my nerves. And no it's not all white people. But it's a majority. I mean they can't possibly be angry that we categorize most of them as racist, and ruthless towards black people because of the actions of a few people? No they just can't. It's not like blacks haven't suffered from the same things over the years. *sips tea*

tumblr: iesha-xo

ig: xoiesha_