LIII Start

"I'm listening," Mitis told Black, leaning on the balcony railing.

She took a deep breath of the cold air. It kinda surprised her that the air was so chilly, it never was before... perhaps it's just a phenomenon happening after the night...

"I... I gave it a little bit of thought. About what happened that night."

Mitis nodded, still not directly facing her. He was facing the ballroom, she was facing the garden. 

"And... I think that what  I did wasn't very thoughtful. I'm sorry if I did hurt you by running away and by pushing you to tell  me something you didn't want me to know but... I'll tell you, I know how to keep secrets and I feel like I don't know anything about you! Yet you told me that-"

"I love you," he cut her off. "I love you, Black Velvet."

They were facing each other now. She started blushing heavily, fidgeting, but he had a very serious face. 

"I understand that I took you by surprise that night, in the sunflower field, but I love you. And because I love you, I didn't want to tell you who I really am, because that would hurt you. I don't want to see you hurt" he smiled. 

"You're underestimating me" she looked at the garden again. 

"Sorry?"

"You don't understand who I am. I am Black Velvet, the Black Guardian. I was chosen. I can handle secrets, I can handle knowing hurtful truths, I can't handle being lied to and I can't handle being underestimated."

He chuckled but now she was the serious one, tears threatening to fall. 

But, thankfully, he finally understood. 

Mitis hugged her from behind, surprising Black, and started whispering everything in her ear. 

***

"Sir, is that the signal?" the woman asked him. 

"Yes, numbskull, I've been doing it for a while now. Start already. The Guardians aren't even all here, and the opal seems almost completely broken. Let's repair it... by returning them to where they belong."

'Yes, sir. Also, please think of a better signal."

"Wiping my nose isn't a good enough signal?"

"I'm afraid not, sir."

"To all units, proceed" he gave the final decision, and many voices saying 'yes, sir' could be heard. 

It was the start of the end.