29 - Reconciliations

It's been a week since my mom and Steve moved back to the house. There surely has been a lot of changes. I didn't even know my mom could cook. She cleans the house spotless everyday. She does the laundry. She even takes Andrea to and from school. 

Andrea is really happy, I can see. She's never experienced love from our mom before. And now that she has it, she can't help but be too greedy about it. She would ask her to sleep with her every night. She would be clinging to her legs when she's cooking. I feel jealous, actually. She usually does that to me. But, now that mom is here, she totally forgot about me. 

Well...not really. She would still ask me to read her bed time stories and play with her, but it's different now. 

Steve is acting like a real father. He works in this church nearby as a pastor. Since they're not moving to Chicago any time soon, he's decided to find another part time job so he can put Andrew to college. Alright! Yes. I'm starting to like this guy. He's not as bad as I thought he was. But, I still keep a close eye on him. He would lead the prayer before every meal, and again before bedtime. He's teaching Drew some manly chores at home and the boy seems to be enjoying it. 

Andrew assures me that they're gonna be fine. That I can go back to work. But, I'm still hesitant. 

When I watch the four of them together, I feel like the outsider. I feel like the world is being unfair. My grandma and I brought up those two, and now they want me out of the picture. I envy how mom puts all her attention to Andrea. I never got that much from her. I know for a fact she was the one who changed my diapers when I was a baby, but after that...she was gone, leaving me to my grandma's care. 

I would just stay in my room most of the day. I see a lot of calls and messages from friends, but I'm still not in the mood to tell them what's happening. The only message I was able to read was from Mark. The one he sent when they were about to board the plane going back to Korea. 

Because of the commotion that time, I even forgot about their show and the flight. I take out the now useless ticket from my bedside drawer and stare at it. The last night we had with Mark when he was here still lingers in my mind. 

Of course I want to go back and see him again. But the thought of leaving my sister and my brother in my mom's care is still a bit of a question to me. What if she suddenly disappears again? What if this Steve would realize he doesn't really love mom and leave her? What would happen then? 

I am disturbed from my thoughts when mom barges in the room without even knocking. 

"Don't you know how to knock?" I glare annoyingly at her. In front of Andrea, I pretend to be all friendly with mom, but when it's just the two of us, I act like...like this - no respect at all. I still don't think she's earned that just yet. 

"I'm sorry." She apologizes, standing at the door with her hand on the knob. "I just came to talk to you. Do you have a minute?" 

"Come in," I say, rolling my eyes at her. I put the ticket back in the drawer and lean against the headboard to sit. "What is it about?"

She slowly makes her way to my bed, sitting at the edge like a scared kid being scolded. 

"What?" I ask, irritated at how she looks at me like she's really sorry. 

"Allyson. I know you're still doubting my sincerity."

"Good, you know."

She ignores my attitude, "I want to thank you."

That takes me by surprise. I just stare at her with a blank face, not showing how stunned I am. 

"Thank you for giving me a chance. Thank you for taking care of Drew and An when I didn't. Thank you for listening to me."