28 - Family Affairs

I wasn't just dreaming last night, was I? He just kissed me good night, didn't he? Or was he just drunk and horny again?

How would you know? He just left you there, frozen like the idiot you are, after kissing you. He didn't even say he likes you. 

Right! I sigh. When would I stop letting him use my lips to ease his lustful desires? Ugh!

"Al!" Drew shouts, knocking frantically at my door. 

"What?" I shout back, irritated at the sudden interruption of my fantasies. 

"It's An. She's not in her room!" 

"What???" I quickly clamber off my bed and run to the door. "Are you sure?" 

"I searched the whole house, sis. She's not here." Drew cries, sobbing like a little boy. 

I try to stop myself from panicking as to not worry him more. "Maybe she's just in the backyard. Have you checked?" I say, grabbing my jacket and stepping into my Chucks. "Double check all the rooms!" I yell at him while I run down to the backyard. 

Please let her be here. She's just six for crying out loud. Where could she be? 

I go around the house, even checking under where she could possibly hide, but find no one. I run back inside and up to her room where I find Andrew in tears, looking at An's drawing book. I go beside him and see what caught his attention. All the pages of her drawing book is full of pictures of mom and the three of us. 

Shit! Did she possibly go to mom?

"She was really happy to finally see mom, you know. She was just three when she left," Drew is saying between sobs. 

"Call the police," I try not to sound alarmed, but I think I failed. My voice quivers as my hands shake when I take out my phone and dial the bitch's number. 

"Mom!" I shout as soon as the other line answers. "Is she with you?"

"What?" She sounds surprised at my sudden outburst. "Who?"

"Damn it! Is An with you?" Although I don't ever want her near my baby sister, I am praying for her to say yes. 

"An? No!" She quickly answers. "Wait...she's not there?"

Fuck! Where could she be?

"Call the cops. I'll be right over." She says. I don't know if it's worry in her voice, but the way she sounded seems like she's concerned. Could she really be? 

"When did you last see her?" I ask Drew after hanging up. 

"I tuck her to bed last night. That was around ten in the evening. She wanted to wait up for you, but I told her you'd be late."

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! 

"If she left just this morning, she would still be in the neighborhood." I tell him while running towards the door with him following close behind. 

We knock on each and every door but we get negative answers. As soon as mom comes, we decide to split up to cover more grounds, and let Drew stay at the house in case An decides to go back home. I'm already at the end of the road and still no sign of her. 

Just then, my phone rings. 

"Al," its Drew. I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping for good news. "The cops are here."

"Just give them details. I'm too far to go back now."

"Ok. Be careful Allyson." 

It's already late in the afternoon when we all gather back at the house. The guy - my mom's current play thing - is also here.