10 - He's Not So Bad After All

I wake up one Friday morning from my phone ringing nonstop. It's Al. He's still out of town and he's called me every morning to wake me up and every night before I go to sleep. 

"Good morning sleepy head," he says, with a hint of laughter. "You're gonna be late, Al."

I look at the time and it says 7:30. "Ugh..." I pull myself up, groaning. "Good morning," I answer, not so cheerfully because of a sudden headache I feel when I start walking towards the bathroom. 

"Are you ok?" 

My whole body feels heavy and my throat a bit sore. I nod my head in answer, but realize he's on the phone, "I think so."

"I just called to wake you up," I hear some noise in the background, shouting, "I have to go. We have an early schedule today. I'll call you again tonight, pretty. I miss you."

"I miss you, too, Al. Bye!" 

I literally drag myself to work, still feeling a bit down. I've had breakfast this morning, but only a little since I didn't have the appetite. Now, I feel a bit weak. I rest my head on the table as I wait for my next class to enter the room. 

"What's wrong?" Ben sees me in my state as he passes by. He slips his head through the crack in the door. "You sick or something? You look pale." 

"Just tired, I guess. It's Friday."

"I heard you're gonna be playing in Hongdae tonight. The other teachers and I will be there." He smiles. 

I just wave my hand at him. Tonight, there's a big university event in Hongdae and the band and I are invited to play. We've been practicing every night after work, and that, I think, is the cause of my fatigue. 

I leave work early to prepare and when I exit the apartment the rest of the band are already waiting for me in the van. 

"Damn Allyson. You look like a vampire." Tara says, eyeing my very pale face. I didn't really have the time and energy to do my make up earlier. 

"You ok?" Dean asks, turning his head to look at me from the driver's seat. 

"Here," Tara takes out her pouch and rummages through her make up for something to give me color. "This is a big event, Al. You might want to at least look like a star." She dubs on my face with a cold sponge and I just let her, resting my head on the backseat and closing my eyes. 

She continues with different brushes while the van moves. She's really an expert in this I tell you. Even with the moving car, she manages to keep her hands steady. 

When we reach the venue, I immediately spot Mark and his friends. Of course they're gonna be here. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of girls who are dying to be taken home by them. I chuckle at their outfits though. They're wearing matching clothes from head to toe. Then I remember, Al told me they dance. 

Are they here to perform, too? I wonder. 

Jackson sees us as we pass by them to the backstage and he waves, tapping Mark beside him. "Al!" He shouts. 

Mark, who's talking to a girl, turns his head as soon as he hears my name. He ditches the girl who was still saying something and approaches us. 

"You playin'?" He asks, fist bumping Dean.

"Yup," Hoon answers. "You, too?" 

Mark nods. "There's this after party the other bands are planning, wanna join us?" He's looking at me now. 

I just shrug. I'm still not feeling so well even after taking the meds Tara gave me earlier. I go past him and take the empty chair in the backstage, resting my head on the wall behind it.