Chapter 38: The Ball

Start from the beginning

   “You look so pretty with and without makeup that’s the thing. You’re quite lucky.” She said walking out to get her dress and shoes. “We have about 20 minutes before we have to be down in the hall so you better get into your formal wear.”

   I nodded, “We can be fashionable late if you want?” I added.

   “We’ll see what time we get there.” She said stripping off her casual clothes and slipping into her short cut, blue dress.

We arrived at the front of the hall, everyone from the day class was asked to go to bed early so they wouldn’t be disturbed by the Ball. There was also extra security going on around their dorms also to make sure they don’t get into any trouble. I was surprised to see so many Vampires show up tonight.

   Both me and Asuna flashed our invitations and walked into the bright, golden hall where large stairways were seated at the very end and many tables of food and drinks were aligned on top of a red, silk cloth with a white edge. A chandelier almost larger than four Kanames’ hung over the whole venue. Deep red streamers and bells were attached to the balcony and stairs and music of an orchestral band filled the room with serene grace. It was such a beautiful night… however the gleaming eyes that were caught on Asuna made is seem like a nightmare. Glowing red and the licking of lips, I pulled Asuna to the side in urgency. I was standing by her the whole time, my daggers strapped to my legs, hidden under the many layers of my red and black dress. I was ready for any un-expectancies.

   “Why are they looking at me like that?” She quivered at their stares.

   I shook my head, “They can sense you’re a human and they probably are thinking you look like an easy target. Just watch your step OK?” I said placing my hands on her shoulders.

   “Watch my step?! Is that all I need to do? Why don’t they smell you?” She snapped.

   I turned to witness some moving closer to us, “I don’t know. Maybe because they know I have powers. Maybe they’re still trying to figure out whether I’m a Vampire or not. Maybe they can smell me too.” I said standing in front of her as the glowing red eyes shuffled closer and closer towards us.

   “Ah ladies! How are you?” Takuma’s voice lifted from the right. Both me and Asuna turned to face him and sighed in relief.

   “Hey Takuma, wanna… introduce us?” I asked him with a sarcastic/worried laugh as I pointed at the Vampires slowly creeping towards us.

   He seemed surprised and jumped in front of us both, “Uh, these people are our guests. I really believe you do not want to mess with them or you shall hear word from Lord Kaname.” He explained and they all stopped.

   They all looked at each other and their eyes slowly turned back to their normal colour. They turned, still glancing back sometimes, and walked away. Both me and Asuna hugged each other, scared as anything—we could feel each other’s bodies tremble in fear.

   “Thank you so much! I thought I was gonna get eaten!” Asuna said walking out from behind me and next to Takuma.

   Takuma laughed, “They wouldn’t have eaten you. Don’t worry, if you need me at all this evening I’ll be around.” He said lifting her hand in his and kissing the very top. Her face blew up in redness and she looked as if she was about to faint. I tried so very hard to keep my laughter in my throat.

   “He kissed me! He kissed me, Yuna!” She was whispering to me over and over again.

   “Yes, on the hand for the 104th time already! Shut up!” I cried rolling my eyes. I glanced around, a lot of people were ‘Fashionably late’ or not many were showing up. The Vampires who were there though looked quite powerful, high aristocrat’s or even pure blood’s, these people looked very shady though and kept to themselves and remained with the same people all night.