LXXXIV

"We need to go. Irene's gonna be looking for me." I try to hide my disappointment. "Okay." I help her down the ladder and climb down after her. We return to her room, and sure enough, Irene's there. "I was about to send out a search party for you," she jokes.

"It's time to take your medication, sweetheart." Cassandra sighs. "Ugh. Fine." After administering her medicine, Irene leaves to let her rest. "You should probably let her sleep. The medication always makes her drowsy." I squeeze her hand.

"I'll be back soon, okay?" She nods before shutting her eyes. "I love you," I whisper. Irene follows me out, and we walk back to the greenhouse. "So, Irene. What happened between you and Robin?" Irene frowns. "Why do you ask?" I shrug.

"Just wondering. I can tell it wasn't something small." Irene shakes her head. "It's so silly, you'll laugh at me if I tell you about it." I grin and raise my hand. "I vow never to laugh at anything Irene says. Cross my heart, hope to die." Irene chuckles.

"Fine. Robin and I are sisters- Erudite-born." I want to ask her why she transferred, but I don't want to be rude. "For some reason, it seemed that I was my parents' favorite- probably because I was the youngest. Robin, on the other hand, was always rebellious. She always ignored our parents, always got in trouble. One day, she just... Snapped. She slapped my mother when she reprimanded her. She even went as far as to kill my pet dog." Tears fill her eyes.

"She was... Insufferable. We parted ways after our Choosing Ceremony. I could forgive her for hurting my dog, for harming me. But to attack our parents... That was just too much."

I put my arm around her. "I think you were right to transfer. Cassie thinks you're the best doctor in the city." Irene smiles. "Really?" I grin. "Yes, really. And I think so, too."