XXXVIII

"Matt. Matt, come on. Wake up, son." I groan. My head feels like it's about to explode, and the noise makes it even worse. "What...what happened?" I open my eyes to see Matt leaning over me.

"You just got the wind knocked out of you, that's all." He smiles, but I can tell he's concerned. "How are you feeling?" "Like I got run over by a train." "That's understandable. Listen, I've decided to be merciful and let you rest for today." I raise an eyebrow.

"I thought we had to be on the verge of dying for you to let up on us." Matt chuckles, but the sound seems forced. "Well. There's someone out there who wants to see you." "Really? Who?" He crosses his arms. "Cassandra. But if you're too tired to see her..." "No!"

I realize I sound too earnest. "I mean...uh...no...you can let her come in...I'm fine." Matt smirks. "OK, then. Get well soon." He gets up and opens the door.

"I'll leave you two alone, then." Cassandra rushes in and grabs my hand. "Are you OK? I got so scared when I saw you lying on the floor and..." I smile. "I'm fine. Bruised and injured, but fine. Really."

Cassandra looks down and seems surprised that she's holding my hand. She takes it away, suddenly unsure about what to do. "Sorry, I just...I just didn't know what to think."

"Well, the good thing is, I don't have to go back to training for the rest of today. Maybe I should get beat up more often." Cassandra frowns. "That wasn't funny."

I grin. "Yes, it was."