LV

Everyone walks away, no longer interested in watching the spectacle. Eric lies on the ground for a few minutes, but gets up as soon as we walk by. "You won't get away with this." Zeke walks up behind him and twists his arm, making Eric wince in pain.

"I'd stop making idle threats if I were you," Zeke hisses. "If you ever get within two feet of my friends I will slit your damn throat." He nods at us. "Run along, you two. You'll need your strength tomorrow."

I'm curious to ask what he means, but I want to get as far away from Eric as possible. Cassandra puts an arm around me, and we walk slowly back towards the infirmary. Once we get there, Cassandra helps me lay back down in bed and sits beside me.

I try to reach for the glass of water next to my bed without success, and Cassandra leans forward to get it for me. I lash out to stop her, "I can get it myself." Unfortunately, my arm accidentally collides with the glass and knocks it over. Cassandra frowns, and I know I've been too harsh with her.

"I'm... I'm sorry." She tentatively takes my hand, and, after a long pause, shakes her head. "It's okay. It's fine. Just tell me. What's wrong?" I sigh, not even sure where to start. "It's just... I think I shouldn't have forgiven Eric. I'm training to become Dauntless, and I won't survive if I keep acting this way." Cassandra raises an eyebrow. "What way? Civil? Humane?"

She smirks. "Matt, that's one of the things I love about you. You're willing to give others a chance. You did the right thing." I close my eyes. "You're right." Cassandra smiles. "Obviously." She leans forward and whispers, "You know what else I love about you?"

"What?" She chuckles and says, "How good you look with your shirt off." I look down and realize that I'm not wearing a shirt... just a large bandage that wraps around my torso.

Thankfully, it covers my scars, but still. Laughing, I embrace Cassandra and she kisses my cheek.