LXVII

The illusion is over as soon as it started, but I'm still shaking. Good. That ought to fool her. "This is for your own good." I stiffen at the sound of Marcus's robotic voice. Before I can even try to defend myself, he lashes out, striking me for what seems like hours.

I make a weak attempt to fight back, but he only knocks me to the ground. I cry out in pain as his belt comes down on my face and draws blood. I back away, slamming right into the wall. "Bastard," Marcus snarls. "I hate you. I hate you so much I can't even look at you. You ruined my life, and I'm going to make you pay for it."

He hits me again, and I can't do anything but hold back tears. I will not let anyone see me cry. "Interesting." Eric's simulation suddenly appears beside Marcus. "So that's why you transferred. Coward." Eric grins. "Not that I expected anything less from a good-for-nothing Stiff."

I moan as Marcus's fist slams into my eye. "I don't know how he put up with you for so long," Eric muses. "I'da killed you the minute you were born. Seriously, who would want to live with you?" He shakes his head.

"Oh, well. Just means I'll need to take care of you." He smiles, and reaches into his pocket. "Don't worry," Eric whispers. "This won't hurt a bit."

My eyes widen as he takes out a switchblade and aims it at my throat. I struggle to escape, but he drags me to the floor. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be," he says. His hand closes around my neck, and I can't breathe. I thrash around, but it's no use.

He's too strong. He cuts deep into my skin, and I cry out. Just before I lose consciousness, I hear him laugh. "Die!"