XLV

At training, we keep practicing with knives, and soon, it becomes so easy for me to hit the target, that Matt asks me to walk around and help the others. I walk over to Cassandra, grinning. "Need any help?" Cassandra laughs. "No, sir." I stand behind her and position the knife in her hands. "Okay. Ready...set...go."

She lets the knife fly through the air and hits the very center of the target. "Maybe I should let you coach me more often." She turns around and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Matt, just because you're more advanced, that doesn't mean you get to flirt with your girlfriend during training."

I look up and see Matt staring at me. "Sorry." I reluctantly leave Cassandra. I force myself to keep walking, and I'm about to go help someone else when a knife flies past me so closely that I can actually hear it going through the air. "What the hell?"

Eric picks up the knife. "Oops." Don't say anything. Don't say anything. Don't say anything. I don't want to get into another fight with Eric, not after what happened at the dorm. His arm is bandaged, but I can still see dry blood through it.

I turn to leave, but he stands in my way. "I meant what I said, you know. Cassandra is mine." I laugh. "That's funny, because it seems to me Cassandra enjoys my company more than yours." Eric tries to punch me, but I'm faster than he is and I quickly deflect the blow.

I grip his wrist, surprised at how easy defending myself has become. "If you get near my girlfriend ever again, I'm going to make you wish you were dead. And then I'll grant that wish. Understood?" I let go of him and he backs away.