LXXI

The next day passes by in a blur, and it seems like years before Rachel dismisses us from training. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. A date! I've never been on one, and I don't think the one Zeke and Lauren took us on counts. Back when I was in Abnegation, my mom told me that whenever someone wanted to ask a girl to marry them, they had to go through a series of rituals and then ask whoever was in charge of the girl for her hand.

Then they'd have a small ceremony which only their closest friends and family could attend, and that was it. I doubt that's how they do it here in Dauntless, though.

Not that I plan on getting married anytime soon, I remind myself. "Good job today," Cassandra comments. "Getting out in only fifteen minutes! How'd you do it?"

I chuckle. I can't tell you. Sorry. "Um, I was just looking forward to our date. Thinking of you helps," I add. Not a lie at all, anyway. Thinking of her did help... just not as much as my divergence.

"I'm looking forward to it too." She kisses my cheek. "What time?" I put my arm around her as we leave the training room. "How about right now?" She punches me in the ribs, quite forcefully for someone so small. "No! I'm all sweaty and gross. How about in an hour?"

I roll my eyes. "Fine. Not a minute more though." She sticks her tongue out. "You're not the boss of-" I don't let her finish and kiss her instead. "I'll be ready in thirty minutes." I grin. "Great!" I notice there's no one using the hallway bathroom so I quickly grab my clothes and head inside to change. I wait outside afterwards and force myself not to run inside the dorm and drag Cassandra outside.

Half an agonizingly long hour later, Cassandra appears in the hallway, and I can't help but stare. She's in a short dress and her usually braided hair is down around her face.

"You look... amazing." She laughs. "Don't I always?" She takes my hand and gives me a once-over. "What's your secret?" I frown. "What do you mean?" Grinning, she leans in closer and whispers, "I mean, how do you manage to be so handsome?"

I can't help but blush. "No wonder you didn't transfer to Candor," I joke. "Hey, I cannot tell a lie!" We laugh and head to the Pit. "I... have a confession to make." She looks up at me. "What is it?" I look away. "I've... uh... never been on a date." She kisses my cheek. "That's okay. Neither have I."