LXI

I swallow. She's talking about me, I think. No. No, there's no way I've been lied to all these years. I'm not that stupid. I glare at Matthew. "How do you know I'm your son? You could be mistaken. You have to be!"

I'm yelling now, but I don't care. He deserves much worse than this. "I'm not mistaken. Your mother and I talked about this a lot, about what we would name our kids after we got married. Evelyn always liked the name Tobias. She said it would be perfect for our firstborn... you. And with your middle name being mine, I don't think this is a coincidence."

I resist the urge to punch him. "When did you figure all of this out? Why didn't you tell me?!" Matthew looks away. "Just now. It all makes sense. After I saw what your fears were... well."

How dare he? How dare he look at my brain when he wasn't man enough to save my mother and I from Marcus's anger? "Please forgive me. Please! I wanted to take you back, but by the time I found out the truth, it was too late. Marcus was legally your father. He had the law on his side. And he was very, very persuasive."

I shake my head. "I will never forgive you. Not ever. You coward." I turn and bolt out of the room without another word. The last thing I hear before I leave is Matthew... crying.