XLI

"OK, initiates. We're going to skip this training this time, because it's Visiting Day. Have fun with your families, but remember our motto... Faction before blood." Matt glances at his watch and clasps his hands behind his back. "Go get ready and see you tomorrow."

I'm glad I don't have to get beat up today, but, on the other hand, I don't want to risk having to encounter in front of my new faction. We file out of the gym and head back to the dorm to "get ready."

"Is your mom coming to visit you?" Cassandra looks away. "Um. I hope, but probably not." What does she mean? I want to ask more questions, but right now is not the time. After we're ready, Lauren, Zeke, and I head to the Pit together. Cassandra told us to leave without her because she wasn't ready yet, so we left her behind in the dorm and would catch up with her later.

"Zeke!" Zeke grins. "Uriah!" They meet each other in the center of the room. Uriah and an older woman I assume is Zeke's mom come over to greet him. "I missed you guys. It's weird being here with you but not being able to see you every day."

I begin to feel out of place, so I step away to let them have their reunion in peace. I wander around and observe everyone else as they see their families for the first time in months. I'm the only one who's alone. Of course Marcus wouldn't visit. Not that I expected him to or wanted to see him again, but still. "Tobias." I turn around, and there he is. How did he sneak up on me? "It's Matthew now, Marcus." He narrows his eyes. "Matthew. Interesting." I nod.

"Very. If you'll excuse me, I'm not in the mood for one of your "I hate you" lectures right now." I try to push past him, but he stands in my way, and puts his hand on my arm, holding me in place with an iron grip. "Let. Go. Of. Me." I say each word slowly and try to look unfazed, but inside, I feel seven years old again.

"You coward. Have you forgotten your promise? The promise you broke?" I smirk. "Just like you promised my mother you'd love and cherish her on your wedding day. And look how that turned out." Marcus's eyes widen, and for once I've rendered him speechless. "I'm only going to say this one more time. Let go of me or I'll rip your hand off." Marcus finally loosens his grip on my arm, and I walk away without looking back.