XXX

We head to the section of the Pit where all the merchandise is. Zeke turns right, and we follow him to one of the smaller booths. As I get closer, I can see that this booth sells glass bottles. That's weird...who would want to buy a bottle?

As Zeke buys one for each of us, it dawns on me that they contain alcohol. Zeke tosses the bottles at us, and I thankfully catch mine. I don't know if I should drink this... The Abnegation part of me tells me that I should refuse, that Marcus wouldn't approve. I shake my head.

Marcus isn't here. He's gone. Zeke lifts his bottle and nods at us. "Cheers." He tips the bottle and drinks, and Lauren quickly follows suit. "Um...is this legal?" Zeke smirks. "Sixteen's the legal age, so...yeah, it's pretty legal. And even if it wasn't, do you think I would care? I'm Dauntless, remember?"

He keeps drinking, and he's starting to sway, unable to stand still. Cassandra shrugs and imitates him, taking a small sip. "Oh my god, it burns!" She spits out the liquid. "Yeah, but you get used to it." Lauren giggles and kisses Zeke on the cheek.

I guess I could try it. It's not like it'll kill me...right? I swallow and drink some of the stuff. Cassandra was right. It burns. A lot. It's like drinking a gallon of kerosene! I force myself to keep it down, and drink some more. By the time I'm halfway through the bottle, I feel lightheaded, and everything looks blurry.

I like it. I'm the first one done, and I can't help but brag. "Beat you guys!" I laugh, and try to stay upright. My voice is slurred. I grin. "Well, told you, didn't we?" Come on. He takes Lauren's hand and exits the Pit while Cassandra and I stagger behind him.