XXVIII

After what seems like decades of training, Matt finally lets us go in the afternoon. I'm so glad we get to take the rest of the day off, because I'm so sore after hitting that punching bag for hours.

I almost back out of the date thing Zeke set up, but he looks so excited that I can't bring myself to do it. Besides, he's my only friend so far, and I don't want to disappoint him. "So, see you guys at seven, alright?" Zeke pats my shoulder and heads off to the cafeteria. I shake my head. Doesn't he ever stop eating? "Cassandra, let's go shopping, shall we?"

Lauren winks at me, and loops her arm through Cassandra's. I sigh. Maybe I should buy some new clothes, too. I walk towards the left side of the Pit, where I saw most of the guy clothing yesterday as I wandered around.

I glance at the merchandise, not really looking at it. Finally, I find a black leather jacket and a pair of jeans. I guess that'll do. It's not like I want to impress Cassandra or anything. I shouldn't even be going out with her in the first place. I curse myself for the millionth time.

Why did I agree to this? Why? I buy the clothes and go back to the dorm to change. I hope no one's there... I enter the room, and to my dismay, I find that Eric's sitting on his bed, reading a book. I'm about to run out of there and change in the hallway bathroom, but Eric notices me before I'm able to escape.

"That leather jacket's great." He whistles, seeing my new clothes. "Going somewhere special?" I freeze. Something tells me he knows I'm going to go out with Cassandra, and that he'll uphold his promise to stab me. "None of your business." I glare at him, no longer afraid to stand up for myself. "Oooh. The Stiff's getting braver, huh?" He smirks, and walks toward me.

Then, he gets close enough to me that I can feel him breathing down on my neck. "Just remember. Cassandra's mine." He smiles, his grin far from friendly. "Have a nice day!" He exits the dorm, and leaves me standing there, his reminder resonating in my ears.