XXIV

I head over to the right side of the pit, where I can barely make out the faint outline of a ledge. As I come closer, I can hear water in the distance. I go as far as the ledge will allow, my curiosity helping me forget my fear of heights for a moment. I grab the metal railing and look out below.

There's a body of water down there that I can only label as a river. I'd never seen one in person; just in books, at school. I am mesmerized, but a voice brings me out of my trance. "The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy."

I look up and hang on to the railing for dear life. Matt stands beside me, casually leaning on the rail as if he didn't have a care in the world. There's something about him that makes me think I've seen him before. "Oh. I didn't see you there, sir."

Matt laughs. "Don't call me that. Makes me feel old. Matt will do. What's your name again?" I want to say that it's none of his business, but I don't want to sound rude. "Matthew." Matt snaps his fingers. "Oh, that's right! You're my namesake."

I nod. "You could say that." Matt grins. "Being my namesake, I'm sure you'll do great in training. See you later." He pats my shoulder and walks away. I turn and look down at the river. Why did he look so...familiar?