VI

When I finally get to my room, I slam the door shut for good measure. First he uses me as his own personal punching bag and then he asks me to do something for him?

I go lay down in bed. No...he is lying to Abnegation... I wouldn't help him. Before I know it, I'm fast asleep. I dream that I am in the factionless sector of the city. I hear the footsteps of someone behind me. I turn around, bracing myself, but this time,it's not Marcus who I see.

It's my mother! I run towards her, and cry. My sobs turn into screams, but I don't care. My mom is here!

"There,there. It's alright." I stop crying long enough to notice that she is wearing a very odd set of clothes. Candor blouse and yellow Amity skirt. Before I can ask why she isn't wearing the required Abnegation robe, she says, "Tobias, listen to me. You must do as your father asks. Please. You will find out why in time. Will you do that?"

I'm so overwhelmed by this surprise that I don't think. I just nod. "I love you." And with that, she walks away, but just before disappearing, she looks back and says, "Nothing is as it seems. Be brave, love."

A loud knock on my door jerks me awake. Marcus steps in, cigarette and a piece of paper in hand. The smell of the smoke almost makes me gag. "Since I know you're too stupid to know what to say, I have written down a speech which you will repeat word for word in front of the entire city this evening."

He tosses the piece of paper at me, and I watch it drift to the floor. I resist the urge to rip it up into shreds and stuff them down his throat. I have to keep the promise I made to my mom.

Even though it was only a dream, it was so vivid I know I have no choice but to do what my mother asked. "Whatever." I want nothing more than for him to leave me alone. I have a pounding headache and cannot stand to argue with him right now.

"It was nice talking to you, son. Oh, and one more thing. If by any chance something goes wrong, I know where you keep that blue vase your mother gave you."

I freeze.

He grins, enjoying my reaction, and leaves.