L

With Matt's help, we're able to exit the compound quickly and get inside the train heading to Amity in no time. Cassandra was able to find a cake carrier, so there's no chance of it ending up under the tracks once we jump off.

I feel embarrassed, what with Matt in the train with us, so I settle for holding Cassandra's hand, content with watching her overjoyed expression as we got closer and closer to the Amity sector.

"Time to jump," Matt tells us. Cassandra and I ready ourselves for the impact, and jump on instinct. The exercise Matt puts us through every day has made this terrifying experience a lot easier, for both Cassandra and myself.

I smile as I land somewhat gracefully, checking to make sure Cassandra and her cake are alright. Cassandra beams as she clasps the carrier, and I kiss her cheek. Matt, of course, is already a pro at this, so he quickly regains his balance and leads the way.

Johanna is sitting beneath a tree not that far away, and we spot her immediately. "Mom!" Cassandra runs toward Mrs. Reyes, and they embrace. "Oh, I've missed you!"

Mrs. Reyes laughs, tears streaming down her face. "What are you doing here? What a surprise!" Cassandra chuckles. "True. My instructor let us come here for a little while, and Matt came too."

She motions for us to come over. "I wanted to bring you something." Johanna raises an eyebrow. "Oh?" Johanna hugs me as soon as I get to her. "It's nice to see you again, young man." Surprisingly, she doesn't seem at all startled by Matt's presence, despite his very un-Amity appearance.

"Hello! I'm Johanna Reyes. And you are...?" She extends her hand, and Matt shakes it. "Matthew. I must say, Mrs. Reyes, that your daughter is a very quick learner. She's one of the best initiates this year." Johanna beams, and I can see how proud she is of her daughter.

"Well, I'll leave you two to do your thing. Do you mind if I take a walk around here, Mrs. Reyes? I think the fresh air will do me good." Johanna smiles. "Certainly." Matt turns to us. "I'll be back in an hour, alright?" He waves, and jogs away.

"So, what did you want to bring me?" Cassandra grins and picks up the cake carrier. "Happy birthday, Mom." She wipes away a tear. Oh, my God...I... I don't know what to say... except... except..." She puts a hand over her mouth. "Thank you," she whispers.

She embraces Cassandra once again and kisses her forehead. "Well. What are we standing around here for? Let's eat!" She leads us to the tree she was sitting under a few minutes ago. "Oh, no... we have no utensils." Cassandra reaches into her pocket and pulls out a couple of forks.

"Ta-da!" Mrs. Reyes laughs. "Okay then. Let's dig in!" Cassandra hands each of us a large napkin to use as a plate and cuts out three slices with her fork. "This is, without a doubt, the best cake I have ever tasted." Cassandra grins. "Well, I had a good teacher. Besides, Matt helped."

She puts her arm around me. "Yeah, I helped spill most of the flour." I roll my eyes and they laugh. They spend the next half hour catching up, and I sit back, happy to observe. I can see why Cassandra missed her mom so much.

She's exactly the way my mom was before... I shake my head. No. No, I don't want to ruin Cassandra's reunion this way. A tall guy about my age walks quietly up to Cassandra and covers her eyes. "Guess who?" Cassandra grins. "Liam!" She jumps up and embraces him. "I have missed you way more than I thought I would, you... you... pansycake!"

Liam bursts out laughing. "I missed you too." He looks her up and down, whistling. It's all I can do not to punch him in the face then and there. Who does he think he is? "You look good in black, you know." Cassandra crosses her arms. "Duh. I look good in anything." She points at the remaining cake. "Want some? I made it."

Liam shakes his head. "I just ate. Thanks, though." Liam turns and looks at me. "And who's that?" Cassandra takes my hand. "My boyfriend." Liam smirks. "I can see you haven't wasted a second in Dauntless-landia." He offers me his hand, and I shake it quickly.

"Take care of her, you hear?" I try my best to smile. "I will." Liam turns back to Cassandra. "I best get back to my chores. Save me a slice of that cake, will you?" He hugs her once more and walks away in the opposite direction. "I think we should be heading back to the tracks, Cassandra."

I pretend to examine my watch. "Oh. Right." Mrs. Reyes smiles.

"Thank you again for coming, darling. Take... take care of yourself." Cassandra nods. "I will." Mrs. Reyes hugs me and says, "Thank you." I nod. "Let's go." I hurry and jog as fast as I can to the other end of the compound where the train tracks are.

"Matt, wait!" She runs to catch up with me.

"What's the matter with you? You looked like you wanted to stab Liam with a knife." I look away.

"Too bad I didn't bring one," I mutter.

"Wait...were you... were you jealous?" She says it like it's the weirdest thing she ever heard.

The expression on my face must have given me away, because she starts laughing. "It's not funny. I didn't like the way he was... looking at you." Cassandra grins.

"Do you have the slightest idea about who Liam is?" I frown.

"No, and I don't want to know." I try to walk away, but Cassandra blocks my path.

"He's my cousin." I look up at her. "What?" Cassandra sighs, her expression totally serious.

"You heard me. He's my cousin." I blush. "I'm sorry. I had no idea."

She smirks. "You don't say." I wince. "Are you mad at me?"

She puts her arms around my neck. "No. Either way, you don't need to be jealous of anyone, whether or not they're cousins of mine... because I love you."

She leans in and kisses me. I'm so surprised, I don't know what to do. I close my eyes and grin. Cassandra pulls away, and I smile. "Say it again."

"I love you. I love you. I love you."